Really can't get flashplayer to work, tried too many ways.

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
squiesuie

Really can't get flashplayer to work, tried too many ways.

Post by squiesuie »

Hello.
Here comes a newbie who needs help. I hope I post in the right section, I didn't put this in the newbie section because I suspect there is no easy answer to my problem.

Anyway... I have just installed Linux Mint 14 MATE on an older pc, running dualboot with win Xp. When installing Mint I had a problem with the installer. It crashed when starting to show the slideshow during the installation process. I fixed this using

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get remove ubiquity-slideshow-mint
to remove the slideshow. After this, the installation went smooth, I thought...

BUT, I haven't been able to open any flash clip from youtube or any other source. I have read these forums about many different flash problems, (I have had too many problems with flash in windows also) and tried many different suggestions that where supposed to solve the problems. I have tried installing/re-installing different versions of flashplayer, tried firefox, opera and chrome, and haven't got any flash clip to play. I only get a black screen or a symbol saying flash have crashed/ no flash installed or something, I soon don't rember everything I have got or I have tried, but nothing I have done seems to be working, that's for sure. According to the forums sources, flash should be working with firefox directly after installation, otherwise nobody seems to have much clue what could be wrong. Somewhere I saw someone suggesting the installation slideshow crash could have something to do with flash not working, but no suggestion to how or why. I hope someone here could try to help me. Please tell me what more information could be needed to help solve my problem, and I will try to give any information I can. Now I don't really know what to do.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
viking777

Re: Really can't get flasplayer to work, tried too many ways

Post by viking777 »

Please open a terminal and run this command:

apt-cache policy mint-flashplugin*
Post the result.
squiesuie

Re: Really can't get flasplayer to work, tried too many ways

Post by squiesuie »

Ok. Hope this helps, what am I looking at?
$ apt-cache policy mint-flashplugin*
mint-flashplugin:
Installed: (none)
Candidate: 2011.10.19
Version table:
2011.10.19 0
700 http://debian.lth.se/linuxmint/ nadia/main i386 Packages
mint-flashplugin-x64:
Candidate: (none)
Version table:
mint-flashplugin-11:
Installed: 11.2.202.243
Candidate: 11.2.202.243
Version table:
*** 11.2.202.243 0
700 http://debian.lth.se/linuxmint/ nadia/import i386 Packages
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
mint-flashplugin-10.2:
Installed: 10.2.153.1
Candidate: 10.2.153.1
Version table:
*** 10.2.153.1 0
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
mint-flashplugin-10.3:
Candidate: 10.3.180.65
Version table:
10.3.180.65 0
viking777

Re: Really can't get flashplayer to work, tried too many way

Post by viking777 »

I just wanted to see that you had mint-flashplugin installed - which you do although strangely you have two versions of it so maybe they are conflicting (I can't be sure though). So try this in your terminal:

sudo apt-get purge mint-flashplugin-10.2
Then reboot and have a look. It might not work, but it certainly won't do any harm.
squiesuie

Post by squiesuie »

viking777 wrote:I just wanted to see that you had mint-flashplugin installed - which you do although strangely you have two versions of it so maybe they are conflicting (I can't be sure though). So try this in your terminal:

sudo apt-get purge mint-flashplugin-10.2
Then reboot and have a look. It might not work, but it certainly won't do any harm.
Ok. I did this but no change. Still no working flashplayer. Any ideas what could be the problem?
viking777

Post by viking777 »

Given the amount of research you have done into this I am sure you will have tried something like this before, if you have already done so and got nowhere, then there is probably no point in repeating it, but if you haven't open Firefox and type about:plugins into the address bar and press enter. I get something like this:

Shockwave Flash

File: libflashplayer.so
    Version: 
    Shockwave Flash 11.2 r202

MIME Type 	Description 	Suffixes
application/x-shockwave-flash 	Shockwave Flash 	swf
application/futuresplash 	FutureSplash Player 	spl
Do you get something similar?
squiesuie

Post by squiesuie »

About:plugin show me this about flash

Shockwave Flash

File: libflashplayer.so
    Version: 
    Shockwave Flash 11.2 r202

MIME Type 	Description 	Suffixes
application/x-shockwave-flash 	Shockwave Flash 	swf
application/futuresplash 	FutureSplash Player 	spl
No different to yours what I can see, but the shockwave flash part do show up twice in the enabeled plugins list, both at the top and the bottom of the list, both identical. Could this mean anything?
meteorrock

Post by meteorrock »

I want you to try opera linux at this link here. I got flashplayer working using that browser. Choose the correct browser version at this link, there are different download for 32 and 64 bit linux builds. Make sure you have adobe flashplayer installed. If you do not then skip down to the last paragraph. If you already have it installed see below. http://www.opera.com/browser/download/?custom=yes

Check your PATH variable for your plugins in the options here after you have downloaded Opera. It should include your flashplayer for youtube. Sometimes you will need to correct the path variable for your plugins if your flashplayer got downloaded elsewhere by default. Go to the opera tab up in the top left hand corner. Go down to settings >> preferences >> advanced >> content. Make sure that plug in is checked marked on that page.

Then go into "plug in options." Make sure your path variable is set to /usr/lib/opera/plugins/ this is the default PATH variable for you plugins. You can also select which plug in you want in there.

Lastly check this setting here in the settings of your Opera 12.12 for linux, Page >> developers tools >> plugins. Make sure that page is checked marked to "enable plug ins."

Check also if you have the correct flashplayer in the correct directory, it should be located in the above directory, the /usr/lib/opera/plugins/ , it is called a libflashplayer.so. If not you will have to download the adobe flashplayer at thier website here. http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

Hello squiesuie,

Don't know how your making out with your flash problem but I suspect since it seems to be across all you browers that it's a hardware problem.

That being said ,
please do the following and try it again.

in a terminal type:

sudo apt-get purge mint-flash
then

sudo apt-get install adobe-flashplugin
when that is finished open up Firefox and try a flash file , if it still crashes, right click on the black screen and go to setting and uncheck hardware excelleration.
and try again.

let me know how that works for you.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
squiesuie

Post by squiesuie »

Hello meteorrock. Yes I have been trying with Opera also, but no sucess so far. I tried checking your points, as far as I can understand plugins are enabeled and in the plug in path I have:

usr/lib/opera/plugins:/usr/lib/adobe-flashplugin:/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins:/usr/lib/xulrunner-addons/plugins
can this be correct?

If I open "about opera" there is a list of paths, where I have:

Plug-in path
/usr/lib/opera/plugins
/usr/lib/adobe-flashplugin
/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins
/usr/lib/xulrunner-addons/plugins
Can this be correct?
squiesuie

Post by squiesuie »

Hello kc1di,
yes it could be a hardware problem, but I still think I have something strange with my flashplayer installation. I would like to rule out a software problem first.

When i type

sudo apt-get purge mint-flash
I got

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package mint-flash
This cant be right? I have installed mint flashplayer, or have I ? Or is this another version? Shall I try

udo apt-get install adobe-flashplugin
anyway?

As it is now in firefox I can't right click on the black screen in for example youtube, nothing happens it is just a black screen.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

Ok

go to the file manager and navigate to the following file see if you have

libflashplayer.so 
file located there.
/usr/lib/mozzila/plugins
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
squiesuie

Post by squiesuie »

Ok kc1di,
my /usr/lib/mozzila/plugins folder is empty, could this be the problem? How shall I fix this? I thought I had istalled and reinstalled flashplayer many times already but apparently it is still missing.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

squiesuie wrote:Ok,
my /usr/lib/mozzila/plugins folder is empty, could this be the problem? How shall I fix this? I thought I had istalled and reinstalled flashplayer many times already but apparently it is still missing.
yes that is the problem. All the browser except maybe Opera look in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins for the flashplayer.

Let's try this again =
go to a terminal and type:

sudo apt-get install adobe-flashplugin
then check to see if libflashplayer.so is in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins
if not we will do it the hard way.
Last edited by kc1di on Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
squiesuie

Post by squiesuie »

Ok kc1di,
This is what happens then

$ sudo apt-get install adobe-flashplayer
[sudo] password for : 
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package adobe-flashplayer
How should I do now then?
squiesuie

Post by squiesuie »

Ok viking777, I saw a post from you that dissapered suddenly?
can my symlink be broken then? How can I check this? And is there any good single way to check if my flashplayer really is installed as it should be?
viking777

Post by viking777 »

Yes it disappeared because after I had written it I remembered that I had made some changes to locations of flash files when experimenting with a new browser so I wasn't sure it was correct until I investigated further.

I am now sure I was correct and I would like you to try running this command:

sudo update-alternatives --auto mozilla-flashplugin
squiesuie

Post by squiesuie »

Ok. I tried

$ sudo update-alternatives --auto mozilla-flashplugin
[sudo] password for : 
-desktop ~ $ 
Nothing seems to happen? Something wrong here?
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

the correct command to install adobe flashplayer is

sudo apt-get install flashplugin-installer
viking777

Post by viking777 »

Nothing seems to happen? Something wrong here?
Sorry, wrong target it should be:

sudo update-alternatives --auto libflashplayer.so
But it may be it doesn't have any alternative so it won't work, but the other purpose of the command is to rebuild the symlink chain in case it is broken so it is still worth trying.

Or here is another one to try along the same lines:

sudo update-alternatives --config libflashplayer.so
It gives a bit more output so might give a clue.

Return to “Software & Applications”