List of support TV tuner card on Linux mint and How to

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
j paul

Re: List of support TV tuner card on Linux mint and How to

Post by j paul »

running lspci -v gives me

03:01.0 Multimedia controller: Philips Semiconductors SAA7131/SAA7133/SAA7135 Video Broadcast Decoder (rev d1)
Subsystem: Avermedia Technologies Inc DVB-T Super 007
Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 22
Memory at ff8ff800 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)
Capabilities: <access denied>
Kernel driver in use: saa7134
Kernel modules: saa7134

dose anyone know what card and tuner numbers i need to use
Niks
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Niks »

Did you check the first page of this thread ???
Last edited by Niks on Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mr_raider
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mr_raider »

Has anyone had success with teh Hauppauge HVR-1800 card? By all accounts, it should be supported in Mint 14, since the drivers were added way back in kernel 2.6. I can only find the ATSC tuner in any application. The NTSC/analog cable tuner seems to not show up. I tried myth tv, kaffeine, and tv headend.

Any ideas?
Niks
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Niks »

I use zapping TV and TV time
sometimes they come up in one but not the other etc...
So hit and miss with these cards.
mr_raider
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mr_raider »

Niks wrote:I use zapping TV and TV time
sometimes they come up in one but not the other etc...
So hit and miss with these cards.
In TV time I get video only, no sound. Any way to get the capture card working?
j paul

Post by j paul »

As a newby I am not totally certin about this. But in my blined atempts to get my tv up and running i cam across this.

In the terminal type lspci -v -nn -mm
lspci tells it to list the devices in the pci slot of the computer.
If you using a ubs stick try lsubs -v -nn -mm.
-v tells it to be verbose
-nn tells it that you want bothe the name and number of the device
-mm tells it to show the codes it uses.

Running that gave me
Slot: 03:01.0
Class: Multimedia controller [0480]
Vendor: Philips Semiconductors [1131]
Device: SAA7131/SAA7133/SAA7135 Video Broadcast Decoder [7133]
SVendor: Avermedia Technologies Inc [1461]
SDevice: DVB-T Super 007 [f01d]
Rev: d1

if I am right that means I need to use the card with numbe code [1131:7133]. that is card 17.
im still not certin about tuners, if anyone can tell me how to find out the tuner the gose with [f01d] I would be gratefull
wb666greene

Post by wb666greene »

freddo1965 wrote:wbee,
try this:

sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/options

Freddo
In Ubuntu/Debian its supposed to be:

/etc/modprobe.d/options.conf

Unfortunately it didn't work for me in LMDE or LM13, I started a thread on it when LMDE was "new". My solution was a line in root's crontab:

@reboot /sbin/rmmod saa7134_alsa saa7134 && /sbin/modprobe saa7134 card=42,42

I need two capture cards and don't care about the tuners as NTSC is dead in the US unless you want to hook up an old game or VCR via RF.

I'd like to know of options instead of options.conf is the solution, not that I'm going to change my systems.

EDIT:
Here is a link to my original LMDE thread:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=191&t=83300
jmor8801

Post by jmor8801 »

I use an wintv 1600 pci and an pinnacle 800i. The wintv one works with out doing anything. Just fire up me-tv or kaffeine. On the Pinnacle 800i i go to linuxtv.org amd find the 800i under the pci devices and download the driver and then install it. Then it is same as the wintv fire up me-tv or kaffeine . I always use the listing on linuxtv.org because those are the ones I have success with. I also have a northwood ( compusa ) hd tuner card and followed the instructions on the bottom of the page and it worked also. Just it used to much cpu so replaced it with the wintv 1600. Which is a great card/
Detonate

Post by Detonate »

I have been watching TV on my PC for years with a Hauppauge PVR-150. I feed the card by composite cable from my Dish Network DVR Receiver. I use VLC for viewing. I use the following command to start VLC in TV viewing mode.

Code: Select all

/usr/bin/vlc pvr:// :pvr-device=/dev/video0 :pvr-channel=2 :live-caching=300 %U
Works great!!
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

Hauppauge has been a standard selection for ages, and I can't remember the name of another one that reported itself as exclusively Linux..
https://www.linux.com/component/content ... s/437-bttv
--a fuller guide to TV cards + Linux..
Detonate

Post by Detonate »

My Hauppauge PVR-150 uses the ivtv driver.
Neuraleanus

Post by Neuraleanus »

No luck with the WinTV-HVR-1250, I tried both goiing directly to the cable connector in the wall and adding an attenna, couldn't find any channels. However, switched over to a WinTV-HVR-950Q, which uses USB, and after following the instructions given at:

http://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Haupp ... V-HVR-950Q

I have managed to get tv working from the cable box that Comcast had supplied. For a TV app I am using tvtime. One issue was probably the lack of a working analog tuner on the 1250.

Lee
cjorsinger

Post by cjorsinger »

Neuraleanus wrote:However, switched over to a WinTV-HVR-950Q, which uses USB, and after following the instructions given at:

http://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Haupp ... V-HVR-950Q

I have managed to get tv working from the cable box that Comcast had supplied. For a TV app I am using tvtime. One issue was probably the lack of a working analog tuner on the 1250.

Lee
For what it's worth, I've been using the 950Q for a while now to watch U.S. broadcast TV. It works with both MythTV and Xine, though the latter is always an iffy proposition. The only tricky thing was if you don't have the WinTV plugged into a high-speed USB port, it won't work, and the only place I found any mention of this being the problem was in the syslog.

There are different version of the 950Q out there, so here's the output of

lsusb -v
:

Bus 001 Device 003: ID 2040:7200 Hauppauge 
Device Descriptor:
  bLength                18
  bDescriptorType         1
  bcdUSB               2.00
  bDeviceClass            0 (Defined at Interface level)
  bDeviceSubClass         0 
  bDeviceProtocol         0 
  bMaxPacketSize0        64
  idVendor           0x2040 Hauppauge
  idProduct          0x7200 
  bcdDevice            0.05
  iManufacturer           1 
  iProduct                2 
  iSerial                10 
  bNumConfigurations      1
dhopley
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dhopley »

After quite a bit of messing around with loading Linux Mint 16 Mate onto my new AMD quad core PC I have managed to make it operational with the v140210 TBS6280 driver . Live TV is most easily accessed by a 'vlc channels.conf' command on the terminal command line and the picture is good , and sound through the HDMI lead is fine to my TV , with changing channels done through the vlc playlist . Recording programs is done via me-tv and the recorded programs sound & visual quality is great , played back by vlc , but I feel that me-tv live TV via the gnome player is not as good as that of vlc . Me-TV deals perfectly well with multiple recordings via a single one of the TBS6280 tuners , providing the programs are from the same mux , which as I most frequently want to record the UK Freeview channels BBC1 , BBC2 and BBC4 simultaneously , it's fine . It's also very convenient to be able to switch to a Firefox browser window for catch up TV and to use Mozilla Thunderbird for e-mail . After handling difficulties with my mini presenter keyboard/touch pad combo I've bought a Logitech wireless mouse and can now easily control the whole arrangement , TV , Set Top Box and PC . Although a 'daisy chain' of coax connections antenna/PC/STB/TV worked perfectly well , rather than have them all online permanently I have also bought a separate 4-way coax amplifier so that each device only needs to be 'powered up' if in use ,
Yours sincerely ,
ximikas

Post by ximikas »

Hello, I'm new on linux.
Trying to setup my ATI TV WONDER tv tuner ,which contains msp3400 audio chip for stereo sound and all audio standards.
Linux mint 16 64bit , and trying to watch tv with tvtime .Currently i'm having a problem - no sound from tuner at all.
Tuner card audio output is conected with cable to sound card aux input (Creative Labs Sound Blaster Live 24bit 7.1 SB0410 ).
By default ,in audio mixer i didn't found AUX input control of sound card,so GNOME Alsa mixer allowed me to control aux input,but no no audio output from tuner.
In MS Windows ,i use Dscaler ,which works perfectly with my tuner ,and even allows to acess audio controls inside msp3400 chip - chip has audio tone controls ,like bass and loudness ,balance.I need some help to get sound ,maybe any one had tuner with this audio chip ? BT878 internal audio part in this tuner is not used.
lgt791

Post by lgt791 »

I use a wintv 1600 and a pinnacle 800i. I always go to www.linuxtv.org site for most of my info. This site gives you the most info on tv tuners and linux than most out there.
johnniedoo

Post by johnniedoo »

I have just gone to a dual boot win7 and Linux Mint17 Mate x64 . I have an old Pinnacle USB Pro stick I used for OTA broadcasts as well as working with a Cox digital cable tv as a recording device
I just attempted to set up one of these pro sticks in the linux side of the machine which already has a coax antenna and usb port position for the windows side. it uses the latest pctv drivers and set up for the 800e or 800i drivers
I use me-tv for my Mint with a process to download appropriate drivers through a google search and now , me-tv works fine; i get 26local ota channels and am limited only by the lousy antenna i use inside.
I was not able to make TvTime nor VLC carry the signals, yet.
I got rid of TV Time as it would not find any signals while me tv was able to locate 26. VLC is still a mystery to me as far as connecting it with tv ota watching. keeps giving off error messages.. I know the tv signals are there because i can watch via me tv. VLC cant connect yet, i am still new to Linux only a month or so. maybe i will come across something that will work as others have been able to
I can say though, that my very old Pinnacle USB Pro stick 800 will work well on Linux mint17 with only a little bit of effort and following some good , old, links since Linux has supported this driver/hardware for 8yrs(edit-prob.more like 6 or so). I found that there were 2 different types of the USB pro stick that is supposed to be important for Linux . i never had any troubles using only one driver update in windows prior to looking into Linux and i have never taken either of the 2 i have apart.
regardless, I was able to just use the software manager to get me tv and follow the links for the driver packages, i just copy pasted into the terminal and all works.
much easier than i had anticipated
Edit: July21, 2015
I recently put together a "new" box with older AMD/ATI parts a gigabyte 790xta ud4, phenom II x4 965be, HD 4670 with linux mint 17.2 64bit MATE--kernel 3.19.0.22 as of today.
I use my 6 or so year old Pinnacle USB HD pro stick with the 800e PCTV, i went to the suggested linux tv site and used the synaptic to open the deb file now the stick works better in the linux box than it did in the windows 7 x64pro, I had used the terminal to get frequencies by following the links i got through linux tv got the stable me tv which is great. I decided to compare windows and mint -for some reason the linux version has a better capture of the local ota signals. i tested using the antennas, the one that came with the pctv , magnetic single thing and a special wingaard digital antenna which is only marginally better than the 2' telescoping metal thing. but the same locations with the same stations yields better capture and hold and a little better sensitivity regardless of which antenna. ME-TV worked for me and thanks to this thread and links on MINT 17.2
i was pleasantly surprised.(I had used ME-TV and the pinnacle usb pro stick in my dual boot wind7/mint 17.2 new system successfully too before making the spare parts build)
John.
Last edited by johnniedoo on Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
swegian

Post by swegian »

The Hauppauge HVR-2250 is no longer in production, per announcement from Hauppauge in July 2014, and has been replaced by part number HVR-2255. The new unit is supposed to be more sensitive than its predecessor. I do not have a 2250 so cannot directly compare the two units, but can compare the 2255 to tuners in my Samsung plasma tv and by Sone LED tv. The 2255 appears to be more sensitive than either of the tvs, picking up stations neither tv did, and may actually experience overload if the signal is too strong. I am only 3 miles from a transmitter and can end up with no decode on that powerful signal. I will find an attenuator, or make a poorer antenna, and experiment.

One problem for the Linux users is that there appears to be no support for the HVR-2255 at this time. Steve Toth at Kernel Labs, contributor of the kernel support for the 2250, is currently providing Linux support for the HVR-2255 for commercial users only. Hauppauge is reportedly working on a HVR-2255 Linux driver for Ubuntu but has not announced a proposed release date. Windows 7 did not automatically recognize the card, or load a driver for it, but the card can be used in Windows now using the drivers provided by Hauppauge.

Update 9/20/14
I returned the HVR-2255 due to lack of support for the Linux operating system. I have ordered and should soon receive a HDHomeRun Dual made by Silicon Dust. Fingers crossed for a smooth install and usage.

Update 9/24/14
The HDHomeRun Dual, HDHR4-2US, integrated smoothly and appears to work as advertised with my Linux Mint 17 system. I've not tested all the advanced features yet, but live TV, even watching one channel while recording another, is working nicely.
lgt791

Post by lgt791 »

For the one stop info on tv tuners on linux should visit linuxtv.org and go to V4L-DVB Wiki link there you will find almost everything needed. I use a wintv 1600 and a pinnacle 800i. I always go here and get the drivers for the pinnacle , the wintv 1600 is already supported in the kernel.
UltramaticOrange

Post by UltramaticOrange »

Surprised that the HD-5500 does not seem to get a mention anywhere. It's been my go-to tv-tuner card on Linux since ... always.

http://www.pchdtv.com/hd_5500.html

Return to “Hardware Support”