Netflix-Desktop For Linux

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
cmorsanchez

Netflix-Desktop For Linux

Post by cmorsanchez »

Howdy. I just went through the addition of Netflix-desktop For Linux (NFL) to my 2 month old install of Linux Mint 14 Cinnamon system on a SSD that is tweaked for performance and that has the following specs listed below. Yet I'm still searching for a means to resolve Netflix-desktop from playing videos faster than normal and also with botched (staticky) sound. Seems like the program runs fine until a vid is played, then it goes double time on the vid speed and audio and even throws in a dash of white noise in the speakers. No other issues in the multimedia presentation department on my daily use of Linux Mint Cinnamon. No explicit errors stated from NFL.

SO If Anybody sees anything that sticks out from my data/info below or has insight to the speed of play issue, please show me the light. I was disheartened last spring when I looked into getting netflix instead of cable/satellite and found no quick or easy way to rely on it with my linux (that Ive been using solid for almost 7 years). I really dont see how netflix can operate just dandy on my android 4.0.4 E4GT Phantom Rom ICS using way < than a Gb o ram on ARM,,,well I actually DO see how they do it with all that drm jazz, but can't believe we (lilnux) are restricted like that....still.

So when I recently learned of the ppa netflix-desktop remedy I was,,,well, flabbergasted. I had some hardships along the way of installing it but nonetheless got it done and it looked Superbly Awesome,,,until I actually played a vid. Then Whamo, the gods put the kaibosh on it and I said to myself "self- this aint gonna fly, we (linux) are better than this stuttering tihs." So I started digging. I aim to find a resolution and not have to default to a clean install. Not that its hard, I just dont wanna. I wanna Fix it so others can be helped by the info if needed.

Well, Im going back to looking into the 1) sound/vid/GL drivers choices (or Forces) w/in the NFL/Wine/Sliverlight/Mono lang and 2) plugin container lags and draws...THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR INSIGHT O Minty Gods of Linux.

Check the Specs for CMORSANCHEZ
Release 14 (nadia) 64-bit, GNOME 3.6.2, Kernel Linux 3.5.0-19-generic
Processor 2x AMD Phenom(tm) II X2 555 Processor
Memory 4049MB
Resolution 1920x1080 pixels
OpenGL Renderer Gallium 0.4 on AMD CEDAR
X11 Vendor The X.Org Foundation.

ATT Network download of 6 Mbps, solid.

CMD CHECKS FOR 3d GL on my ATI RADEON INFO:

mac@mac-A780L ~ $ glxinfo | grep direct
direct rendering: Yes

mac@mac-A780L ~ $ /usr/lib/nux/unity_support_test -p
OpenGL vendor string: X.Org
OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on AMD CEDAR
OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 9.0.1
Not software rendered: yes
Not blacklisted: yes
GLX fbconfig: yes
GLX texture from pixmap: yes
GL npot or rect textures: yes
GL vertex program: yes
GL fragment program: yes
GL vertex buffer object: yes
GL framebuffer object: yes
GL version is 1.4+: yes
Unity 3D supported: yes

mac@mac-A780L ~ $cat /proc/asound/cards
0 [SB ]: HDA-Intel - HDA ATI SB
HDA ATI SB at 0xfe8f4000 irq 16
1 [Audigy2 ]: Audigy2 - SB Audigy 4 PRO [SB0380]
SB Audigy 4 PRO [SB0380] (rev.4, serial:0x20071102) at 0xe800, irq 20
2 [Generic ]: HDA-Intel - HD-Audio Generic
HD-Audio Generic at 0xfe9bc000 irq 45

mac@mac-A780L ~ $ lspci | grep -i audio
00:14.2 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA)
01:00.1 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Cedar HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 5400/6300 Series]
03:05.0 Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs SB Audigy (rev 04)
mac@mac-A780L ~ $

Thanks Again if you read this far!!!!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Toadmund

Re: Netflix-Desktop For Linux

Post by Toadmund »

Really blows that netflix uses silverlight, a microsoft product. Just one of the many ways M$ uses their dominance to shut out Linux.
Then people say 'Linux sucks'; no, it M$ that sucks for being greedy and 'anti-trust'able.

Why didn't Netflix just use Flash? I'm sure there was money from MS involved somehow.

Anyway, good to see a hack has been achieved somewhat.
Double whammy for me though, can't (until now I suppose) get Netflix because I use linux (6 years now) and I can't get Hulu in Canada even though they use flash.
cmorsanchez

Re: Netflix-Desktop For Linux

Post by cmorsanchez »

I already had 'multiarch' on my system during attempting to install, and installs failed. Had to force architecture change to accept 32 bit progs by adding ia32libs. Then I got closer to a successful install. Next I had to downgrade xorg/xserver from 1.13 to 1.12 and my ati radeon drivers from the new default mint radeon drivers (~'gallium cedar'?, i forget what it was called) to the fglrx (i also first tried fglrx-legacy but that failed) with amdccc and set up the new driver configs. Reboot and ....

After that, the NETFLIX desktop install was complete and I commenced playing movies perfectly.

I did notice sometimes that occasionally the firefox window which netflix plays in would temporarily freeze at the initiation of a movie, but I resolved this by grabbing the window edge (the vertical axis and the horiz axis) to change its size and then goto full screen (f11/escape) and back out of full screen again. This change in window dimensions would 'reset' the graphics within the window resulting in a normal viewing of a movie with perfect audio and visual.

Thanks for everyone's insight, I appreciate the help. The ATI Radeon part was tricky like usual with various distros because its easy to get stuck with a 'no display' environment, so had to be careful and take my time. But there is beneficial docs available to guide this process. See below for help.
****************AWESOME *******************
http://ubuntuxtreme.com/howto/how-to-fi ... ntu-12-10/
http://www.ubuntuvibes.com/2012/10/how- ... egacy.html
http://askubuntu.com/questions/203232/r ... pported-wh

Return to “Software & Applications”