finding ram configuration on laptop and specs etc.

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
zen

finding ram configuration on laptop and specs etc.

Post by zen »

sorry dumbo question where can I found out my ram configuration i.e. 2-256 stcks of ram vs. 1 512 stick of ram? I need more ram but not sure and do not believe what I was told about this machine. can find it easily on macs but on a PC and also in linux I am too too new.

thank you.

also I cannot get any sound at all and I chose all sound options audio possibilites and nothing - I had sound in ubuntu but no control here I have no sound - I did get resoltion and 1280x800 instantly in mint and ubuntu notta and all others are frustrated too. I am still working on the wirless though half way there.

thank you.

acer travelmate 2480 laptop by the way4 days old
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

In Terminal:

Code: Select all

more /proc/meminfo
Clem
zen

Post by zen »

Great thank you! anyway your knowledge could help me finish up the wireless issue ? see wireless thread. I tried everything with the help of hairy palms or knuckles or whatever ...he worked hard all morning with me but is out of ideas.

I also have no sound!

thank you - Norman
zen

Post by zen »

clem 0 this does not appear to list what I am looking for or else it is pretty archaic info for me to understand.

thank you.
Fragadelic
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Fragadelic »

How much ram does "free" report?

free will provide a little mor ehuman readable info but it is mainly total ram and swap.

I don't believe I've ever seen anything in Linux that can tell you how many chips you have but I could be wrong.
zen

Post by zen »

MemTotal: 506340 kB
MemFree: 5936 kB
Buffers: 20040 kB
Cached: 247608 kB
SwapCached: 0 kB
Active: 264528 kB
Inactive: 129468 kB
HighTotal: 0 kB
HighFree: 0 kB
LowTotal: 506340 kB
LowFree: 5936 kB
SwapTotal: 1477940 kB
--More--(0%)

does this help??

thanks
Fragadelic
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Fragadelic »

Looking at that I would guess that you have 512M with 8M probably set aside for onboard video.

What exact model of laptop do you have?
zen

Post by zen »

acer travelmate 2480
Fragadelic
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Fragadelic »

According to this:

http://www.acer-ee.com/acereuro/page9.d ... c=69835412

it has a 2Gig max capability with 2 slots for ddr2 sodimms and is dual channel ready. What this means is that you will get a bit better performance with 2 identical memory chips as compared to 1.

eg - 2x256MB will perform slightly better than 1x512MB.

What submodel is it? that will provide the info on that specific model as it came from Acer.

Usually they are like 2480-XXXX
zen

Post by zen »

i can open the machine and look I thought I couls see it in some system profile so I wouldn't. I need to get another 512 stick if that is what I have. I just do not believe in what the specs say after the many shady dealings I went through to get this one. this was not the model I wanted either.

Oh well....

I'll have to take the bottme apart and look.

thanks.

:-)))
Fragadelic
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Fragadelic »

It is most likely 1 stick of 512MB ddr2 533 sodimm so just get another stick of that.

The 2480-2705 is configured this way. The 512MB comes as 1 stick as this is cheaper than 2 sticks for dual channel mode.
zen

Post by zen »

Thanks Fragadelic? I plan on another 512 - I may open this up tomorrow and see what I have in there.

where in Canada are you? I used to hang in Ontario various places and also Toronto.

Best wishes,

Norman
Fragadelic
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Fragadelic »

I was born and raised in Toronto.

I live in Mississauga now.

Where are you now/from?

You need to fill out your profile - come on don't be shy - lol.
zen

Post by zen »

from western NY and stuck in TN sucks a big one! I miss spadina and Bloor and Honjin's sushi restaurant, eh!??? and the snow!!!!
Fragadelic
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Fragadelic »

lol - we're getting plenty of snow today.
zen

Post by zen »

yes I know!!!

droooooling
Fragadelic
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Fragadelic »

I'm going to start a new business - Exporting snow to the southern states.

It will be delivered atop 18 wheelers travelling from Canada.
Fragadelic
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Fragadelic »

A bunch of that info is very old. Most laptops work pretty well out of the box on Linux these days unless they are bleeding edge new.

Return to “Other topics”