Sound changed to 5:1 instead of 2:1 - No Master

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Legend_bob

Sound changed to 5:1 instead of 2:1 - No Master

Post by Legend_bob »

I just built a machine for my parents with Daryna. Everything was working great at my house, including sound over my speakers. So they get it home and now the only sound they hear is really, really faint.

I've had them open the mixer control and there is no Master, only PCM. Also, when you hover the mouse over the speaker icon it says Front: 53%. This makes me think that somehow it thinks there is a 5:1 surround system, which there isn't.

I'm at a loss for what to do now. It seems that if I could just get the Master control to show, that would fix it. Being new to Linux, I'm wondering where I should be looking and what to look for, not to mention how to look :).

I've also tried to set up vnc so I can see their system (in another state) but can't seem to connect.

Thanks for any advice.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Sound changed to 5:1 instead of 2:1 - No Master

Post by Husse »

If you double click the volume control next to the clock you'll open alsamixer (probably)
Under "Edit" > "Settings" you can choose what to show.
Why it changed (if it did) I don't know
Legend_bob

Post by Legend_bob »

That's the strange part. There's no Master in that list, either. That's why I'm stuck now.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Under "Archive" > Change unit > Change to alsamixer
I have a USB headset and OSS mixer also and they don't have a master ...

Return to “Beginner Questions”