Nemo USB Eject Mint 14 x64

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kiwi

Nemo USB Eject Mint 14 x64

Post by kiwi »

I'm running the current version of Mint 16 with all updates and have noticed an issue (for me) with Nemo.

I love the overall design but when you eject a USB there is no notification that the ejection process is complete or not. The window simply shuts instantly if that is the only Nemo subwindow open. As a result you can remove it while a file is still being written with adverse consequences. For contrast SpaceFM shows a window after you select unmount or eject and that window doesn't close until the USB can safely be removed.

Experiment to demonstrate:
- mount usb
- begin copy of 1GB or more file (which will complete early because linux works that way)
- select eject within the period that the file is still being copied
- remove usb

File will be corrupted at the least.

Would the developers consider bringing up a window or some form of status message that was held until the umount was completed?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
abnvolk

Re: Nemo USB Eject Mint 16 x64

Post by abnvolk »

I think you should wait for the copy/move operation to finish before unmounting because Nemo unmounts devices instantly. And while clicking on the icon, you shouldn't be browsing your devices - the window would close if you did so.
kiwi

Re: Nemo USB Eject Mint 14 x64

Post by kiwi »

You misunderstand me. Perhaps I wasn't clear enough. As the experiment is carried out, to be clearer.

Mount USB
It opens a Nemo window,
use F3 or new tab to open a window with large file for copying
copy the file
wait till mint says its finished
... (it hasn't really because the copy speed is shown as 200Mbps+
.... buts really only about 7Mbps over USB2 to my transcend usbs)
wait a few seconds for generosity
select eject from the nemo menus
it ejects (and the subwindow showing the usb disappears)

If you then remove the USB (while you know the copy must still be continuing at 7Mbps) then the file will be corrupted.

Nemo reports the copy finished
Nemo reports the usb unmounted/ejected (by closing the window)
It HAS NOT FINISHED

If you use SpaceFM then it will still report the copy being finished early (simply because Linux reports it thus to the application) but the difference is that if you select Remove/Eject it will either:
a) close the window immediately if there are no operations still in progress; or
b) show a sub window with the "eject progress" at 50% until all operations have finished then close all related windows when it has finished.

Although SpaceFM has some nice features and does eject USBs correctly I like what the team is doing with Mint and would like to stay true to its Core applications if possible. So I'd appreciate either a suggestion of changes to my configuration so that nemo behaves correctly or perhaps acknowledgement of the issue and the possibility of a fix.
kiwi

Post by kiwi »

bump.

Not sure if this doesn't matter or everyone's on holiday.
Chris_Z
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Chris_Z »

A little script is posted in Comment #31 here.
It seems to work close to what "Safely Remove" did.
kiwi

Post by kiwi »

Thanks Chris,

I just assumed it would be a Nemo issue with the fork from Nautilus but I see its an underlying Ubuntu issue. I gave the script a try and it scared the hell out of me ... offered to detach my SSD (/) but it did refuse to unload the USB while file transfer was continuing.

Since the post I worked out my issues with SpaceFM and now have it properly set up as the default file manager. One of the nice things about it is you can start a file copy then select eject/remove the USB and that task will be queued behind the file copy. So SpaceFM it will be for me anyway.

Thanks again for replying though.

Return to “Software & Applications”