Linux Mint 13 Using too Much Memory

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jtaylor3222

Linux Mint 13 Using too Much Memory

Post by jtaylor3222 »

Is there any reason why most of my memory is being used at boot up?

Code: Select all

~ $ free -m
             total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
Mem:           995        753        241          0         33        406
-/+ buffers/cache:        313        682
Swap:         1021         17       1004
Regards,

John...
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Linux Mint 13 Using too Much Memory

Post by xenopeek »

You have 313 MiB of used memory (second row of numbers). That doesn't sound so bad?

For more detail on why you are probably reading these numbers wrong, see http://www.linuxatemyram.com/.
jtaylor3222

Post by jtaylor3222 »

xenopeek wrote:You have 313 MiB of used memory (second row of numbers). That doesn't sound so bad?

For more detail on why you are probably reading these numbers wrong, see http://www.linuxatemyram.com/.
So it's normal that 1/4 of my memory is being used with nothing running?
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

If you are running the 64bit version it's normal. If you are running the 32bit version it's to much but you can use top (or htop, etc), press shift-m to check what is using the RAM.

Just after boot Mint checks for updates so it's not necessary running nothing.
jtaylor3222

Post by jtaylor3222 »

nunol wrote:If you are running the 64bit version it's normal. If you are running the 32bit version it's to much but you can use top (or htop, etc), press shift-m to check what is using the RAM.

Just after boot Mint checks for updates so it's not necessary running nothing.
I am running the 64 bit version. Why would it be normal for 1/4 of my memory while nothing is running be normal on the 64 bit OS?

Regards,

John...
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

jtaylor3222 wrote:I am running the 64 bit version.
Install the 32-bit version instead if you have only 1 GiB of RAM. The 64-bit version will be faster for some tasks (especially repetitive mathematic actions on large data sets, like rendering, archiving, encrypting, or video transcoding), but on average it will up to 30% more memory for each running process because the basic integer width is twice as large. Generally I wouldn't advice against using 64 bit unless you have at least 2 GiB RAM.
jtaylor3222 wrote:for 1/4 of my memory
That's a bit silly, you must admit that. What if you had a computer that had only 512 MiB RAM? It wouldn't uses 1/4 of your memory, it would use 1/2. Or if you had 4 GiB RAM, it would use 1/16... So instead of relative numbers, let's stick to absolute numbers. Your operating system is using 313 MiB RAM, and if you want it to use less then run the 32-bit version.
jtaylor3222 wrote:while nothing is running
Your operating system is running, along with your desktop environment, and along with commonly used libraries that will be used by most of your programs.

You didn't mention which desktop environment you are using. If you are using Cinnamon then after installing Linux Mint 13 32-bit, consider using the backports repository to get the newer version of Cinnamon that comes with Linux Mint 14 (or just use Linux Mint 14 32-bit): http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2225. The newer version of Cinnamon should use significantly less CPU, and somewhat less RAM.
jtaylor3222

Post by jtaylor3222 »

Xenopeek,

I am running Xfce. Thanks for the education, I will try the 32 bit version.

Regards,

John...

Return to “Xfce”