Linux Mint 13 "Maya" released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
Tejas_0

Re: Linux Mint 13 "Maya" released!

Post by Tejas_0 »

RevLouM wrote:One particular thing I would like to thank you for, Clem...

(NOT to sound like a Luddite spoilsport!)

The issue of "Do I need to upgrade?"
The releases come so thick and fast that I've given up on this question. I had been running the Lisa Iso and was on the point of making Lisa persistent, when the Maya announcement came out. Just can't keep up :( No longer using persistence, just Firefox Sync and a simple shell script, a five minute overhead at every boot, but peace of mind. ;) (Need uncomplicated WP? Just run Slax and use KWORD, etc.)

Would like to say that Mint 12 KDE doesn't hold a candle to Lisa, a bit of a disappointment. :(

Maya

After all the bad press for Cinammon, I started with Mate, found it onerous and finally gave Cinammon a go. In comparison Cinammon is smooth! No hassle with all the setups I need. Setting TZ relatively easy compared to Mate but not as easy as it was with Lisa.

Using Cinammon since 27th of May ...
  1. Kudos
    • Sound properly initialised upon ISO cold start. NVIDIA GeForce 6150 SE
    • VLC Media Player now a treat. No more problem with losing sound, or sound problems of any kind, so far.
  2. Fixes
    Brassero no longer clobbers CD/DVD. This was the case before, when after burning the medium could not be read, could not be blanked, nor salvaged by K3b.
  3. Bugs
    • JavaScript applet part-fills window. Need to maximise window in order to expose all buttons, in which case the window becomes filled as normal. Maximising window before applet has come to a standstill results in browser Firefox crashing and then bringing down the rest of the desktop,
    • Pasting from gedit to terminal lost if click on gedit after Ctl+C
  4. Gripes (Deficiencies)
    • Screenshot does not provide a choice of whether or not to close its window. Screeenshot has to be invoked each time from the menu, and this is a bore when one wishes to take snapshots of a whole series of windows. :evil:
    • Copying from file manager Nautilus of hierarchical filename to terminal not possible, have to go thru gedit and then only if the paste is altered by removing something like hierarchy of the file for example.
      Nautilus copy: /home/mint/p1/kix/hme/Ka_2012-06-09.png In gedit strip path: p1/kix/hme/Ka_2012-06-09.png highlight, CTL+C and paste to terminal works.
  5. Salvaging Session Settings
    Resetting lightdm doesn't work anymore, as can't be found. So when LibraWriter clobbered the desktop, and trying Ctl+Alt+<- proved ineffective, killing cinammon useless, managed to salvage the situation by killing gnome-session from Console 1. :twisted:
Now use AgiliaLinux, a fast no-frills distro to run the JavaScript apps under SeaMonkey, while Maya Cinammon is now my basic fall-back distro where I can get complicated things done with relative ease. :)
Last edited by Tejas_0 on Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bpdsmyth

Post by bpdsmyth »

r 13 is a total regression.....I am going back to 12. no gnome 3....sound is totally borked....confused?
Tejas_0

Post by Tejas_0 »

Live Invocation with kernel command line parameter timezone not acted upon. For example, setting timezone=America/Phoenix still gives UTC in date command.
wyrdoak

Post by wyrdoak »

Tejas_0 wrote:Live Invocation with kernel command line parameter timezone not acted upon. For example, setting timezone=America/Phoenix still gives UTC in date command.
If your trying to turn UTC off Check the file /etc/default/rcS with line UTC=yes in it. Change it to no.
Tejas_0

Post by Tejas_0 »

wyrdoak wrote:If your trying to turn UTC off Check the file /etc/default/rcS with line UTC=yes in it. Change it to no.
If I'm not able to set time zone from the GRUB command line, do you think I could do this by editing the Iso file :?:
TLARbb
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TLARbb »

floweringmind wrote:Please upgrade the kernel to 3.3.6 or higher as the one you are using has a Nvidia graphic card issues. This is an issue with the Ubuntu release as well, this bug is also in the kernel you are using for the Debian release. A huge number of people are affected by this bug. The bug will not allow us to boot into any graphical interface.

I am having this issue with my older computer on this release. Mint 11 worked fine though. Not sure why 13 is having problems.

Edit:
I'm still not sure exactly what was going on with the Mint 13 cinnamon install, but I did get the MATE version installed and it seems to work fine. Both this computer and that one are using Nvidia graphics cards and this one worked and the other one didn't.

EJ
rossm

Post by rossm »

Hi I am new to Mint but have been in Linux since Slackware was a baby.
Have installed Maya Mate 64 bit alongside Windows 8 after trying doth Mate and Cinnamon. Dead easy install, no hiccups.
Nearly everything seems to work. Great work guys.
Only beef, mintinstall blows up and chews out cpu and memory when requested to seach All. 11 mins to get back to life.
Similar on all long file lists.
Again, great work.
Don't understand beefs about Nvidia.
Mine works out of box.
Brava,brava.
ChrisOfBristol

Post by ChrisOfBristol »

To complete some postings I made earlier in this thread.

1) Mint-13/Cinnamon seized several times an hour on my Asus PCBarebones Pundit P1-PH1 so I gave up on it.
Mint-14/Cinammon is fine so I'm sticking with it.

2) Ubuntu 12.04/10+Cinammon/MATE was missing window borders etc, so I abandoned it. There were probably some old configuration files around, but neither I nor anyone else ever managed to work out which they were so that I could delete them. It was suggested that I do a backup and start with a clean /home, but there wasn't enough room on the disk to copy all the data and I didn't want to bet all my data on a backup.
I have now found a way of doing this without a lot of spare space and without having to rely on a backup.
This involves reinstalling the system and understanding about partitions so don't try it unless you are confident about that and follow my reasoning for copying the files around. Do a backup first.
Assuming /home is on a separate partition and my home directory is /home/me:
  • Reinstall exactly as before leaving /home alone, except for using a new username eg 'new'.
  • Login as 'new'.
  • Replace all the /home/new directories with the /home/me directories (no hidden ones).
  • The hard part: Find the wanted hidden files - data files such as Thunderbird and Chrome and do the same with them.
  • You can now use the 'new' user and leave all the apparently unwanted hidden files in 'me' until you are convinced that you have copied everything you need.
  • Backup the remaining hidden files just in case.
  • Delete user 'me' and that's it, but if you want to keep the username 'me' do this instead:
  • Delete everything including all hidden files from /home/me.
  • Move everything including all hidden files from /home/new into /home/me.
  • Reinstall exactly as before leaving /home alone, using the original username 'me'.
  • In future login as user 'me'.
  • Delete user 'new'.
It's probably possibly quicker to rename the user and create another one instead of the reinstallation, but when I read the manual about it there seemed to be some pitfalls that I didn't understand.

Return to “Releases & Announcements”