Black background while using expo/scale on linux mint 14.

Style your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ishaanbahal

Black background while using expo/scale on linux mint 14.

Post by ishaanbahal »

I have started using linux pretty recently and tried linux mint first. I really liked it and few days ago i used a script to reduce the brightness on system start-up with the help of the tutorial given on http://interestinginnit.blogspot.in/201 ... linux.html but from then whenever I use expo/scale effect in cinnamon i get a black background rather the wallpaper which was there. I have the stock theme and have tried reinstalling cinnamon using synaptic package manager but that did not help. Though reinstalling compiz seemed to solve the issue but it turned black again on restart. I think its because of the script. Can anyone tell me how to remove it or maybe a different solution.

I cant print screen those views so cannot attach the photos.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
zerozero

Re: Black background while using expo/scale on linux mint 14

Post by zerozero »

ishaanbahal
welcome to the forums :)

first rule :lol: don't install compiz in cinnamon, it will break badly.

now the rest:
share please the output of

Code: Select all

apt policy cinnamon

Code: Select all

inxi -SGx
ishaanbahal

Post by ishaanbahal »

output for apt-policy cinnamon :

cinnamon:
Installed: 1.6.7+nadia
Candidate: 1.6.7+nadia
Version table:
*** 1.6.7+nadia 0
700 http://packages.linuxmint.com/ nadia/main amd64 Packages
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

Output for inxi -SGx :

System: Host: ishaan-PC Kernel: 3.5.0-17-generic x86_64 (64 bit, gcc: 4.7.2) Desktop: Gnome Distro: Linux Mint 14 Nadia
Graphics: Card-1: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00:02.0
Card-2: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Cape Verde [Radeon HD 7700M Series] bus-ID: 01:00.0
X.Org: 1.13.0 drivers: ati,radeon (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) FAILED: intel Resolution: 1366x768@60.1hz
GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Ivybridge Mobile GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 9.1-devel Direct Rendering: Yes

zerozero wrote: first rule :lol: don't install compiz in cinnamon, it will break badly.
how do i remove compiz??
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

ishaanbahal wrote:how do i remove compiz??
just don't use it, forget that it is there; of course you can go to synaptic, do a search for compiz and try to remove as much as you can (always be aware of the extras pkgs that it might remove along with it)

as for the black background my first supposition would be graphics card and you have a difficult combo (amd+intel)
it's not completely clear (at least for me :lol: ) which card you're using from that inxi output because first it reports the ati,radeon
X.Org: 1.13.0 drivers: ati,radeon (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) FAILED: intel Resolution: 1366x768@60.1hz
but then the GLX renderer done by intel
GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Ivybridge Mobile GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 9.1-devel Direct Rendering: Yes
ishaanbahal

Post by ishaanbahal »

well nothing helped.. so i reinstalled mint. Thanks for the help.... :)

Return to “Themes, Icons & Wallpaper”