Cannot boot with external drive connected to usb

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
emil_pavlov

Cannot boot with external drive connected to usb

Post by emil_pavlov »

I have an external WD drive connected via usb to my laptop. When I boot the computer, GRUB always hangs after a few seconds and the computer becomes unresponsive. The only solution is to power off, remove the HDD and start again.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
emil_pavlov

Re: Cannot boot with external drive connected to usb

Post by emil_pavlov »

Yes, this seems to be the same problem, but how can I solve it? I could make the usb2 drive load later, but I don't know how this is done.
viking777

Post by viking777 »

The only solutions I ever found were listed in that link:
1) Buy an express card/usb3 adaptor - not much use to you if you don't have an express card slot.
2) Buy a new computer - not very practical unless your old one is worn out.
or I suppose
3) Buy a new external drive that is not made by WD - again not very practical.

Until I found the express card solution (entirely by accident incidentally) I just had to remember to unplug the drive before every boot/reboot which is not very satisfactory as you already know I am sure.
emil_pavlov

Post by emil_pavlov »

The problem is that these are cost-related workarounds for something that should be working for free, which is what bothers me. By the way, I found a bug on launchpad

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... ug/1047688

Return to “Installation & Boot”