Why does sound-setting indicator behave...?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tacoz

Why does sound-setting indicator behave...?

Post by tacoz »

The indicator... Sound Settings on Mint XFCE behaves-n-looks different to the one in Xubuntu
The volume slider is similiar but when one selects Settings, the Mixer dialog pops up and various slider controls are presented
In Xubuntu, one had the option--amongst many others--of moving the slider beyound 100%
The sound in Mint is a noticably softer than I used to experience in Xubuntu...
Is there a way to tweak this?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
aac74

Re: Why does sound-setting indicator behave...?

Post by aac74 »

if you install the packages
gnome-control-center
and
gnome-system-tools

you can get the more advanced 'gnome control centre' sound settings.
Also if you click 'all settings' in 'sound settings' you can set the system time and manage users and groups.
Plus printers, firewall and other things that aren't in the xfce settings panel.
tacoz

Post by tacoz »

aac74 wrote:if you install the packages...
Thanks, but I already tried that and there isn't (at least as I can find) anything that addresses the volume stuff...
aac74

Post by aac74 »

Do your sound settings not look like this ? Do you still get low volume over 100% ? Have you selected the correct sound output if you have more than one ?

I have found that most linux sound problems are easily fixed (as are wifi problems) via a cheap linux compatible USB soundcard:

e.g. a card like this has fixed all my vlc crackle and skype problems I was having on my desktop machine -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-External- ... 483b065ebb

SO easy to set up. Just plug and play and select the USB card in sound settings !
slinkeey

Post by slinkeey »

I did the very same thing that you wanted to do.

Xubuntu 12.04 uses pavucontrol by default.
mint xfce 14 uses xfce4-mixer by default.

So here is what I did:

I removed xfce4-mixer.
I installed pavucontrol.

Now here is where the fun begins. The indicator-sound applet does not open pavucontrol when you press [Sound Settings].

I created a symlink so that when it tries to open xfce4-mixer, pavucontrol opens instead.

Code: Select all

sudo ln -s /usr/bin/pavucontrol /usr/bin/xfce4-mixer
If you are curios, I wanted pavucontrol because I use an older program than benefits from pavucontrol. I just switched from xubuntu to mint-xfce.
Details of what I like pavucontrol for: http://slinkeey.comuv.com/cms/TravelerInLinuxWine

Let me know if this works or if you need help.
DanJ

Post by DanJ »

Last edited by DanJ on Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
slinkeey

Post by slinkeey »

The interesting thing is.. On my other machine, I cannot remove xfce4-mixer.. It wants to take out mint-meta-xfce. I let it remove it though since meta packages are just a package with a list of dependencies.
DanJ

Post by DanJ »

Return to “Xfce”