{SOLVED] LMDE: 873mb updates on 1000mb install

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
gloss54

{SOLVED] LMDE: 873mb updates on 1000mb install

Post by gloss54 »

Can someone explain to my why it is that, after you spend 10 minutes installing the 1-gb Linux Mint Debian operating system, right after install, you have to spend 90 minutes doing an update that replaces 873 mb worth of files with new versions? That's 87.3% of the entire install .iso! Wouldn't it be simpler just to replace those fi9les on the install .iso in the first place?

I'm also not thrilled about the fact that the update features nearly constant confirmation dialog boxes and must be babysat for the entire 90 minutes. I made the mistake of going to bed just as the update download had finished and the install was starting. When I woke up, the update was stuck at a confirm box asking me whether I wanted to replace some stupid config file or other, and had been stuck at that prompt, about 15% of the way through the update install, for at least seven hours.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: LMDE: 873mb updates on 1000mb install

Post by xenopeek »

An update for the ISO is in the works and should be available shortly. You were just unlucky in timing, and have installed from the old ISO.
gloss54

Post by gloss54 »

Is there going to be any issue with my system because of the massive update and the fact that the update was suspended at a prompt for more than seven hours?

EDIT: Please announce the update so that I can coaster my old DVD and redownload and burn a new one when tie time comes.
monkeyboy

Post by monkeyboy »

gloss54 wrote:Is there going to be any issue with my system because of the massive update and the fact that the update was suspended at a prompt for more than seven hours?

EDIT: Please announce the update so that I can coaster my old DVD and redownload and burn a new one when tie time comes.
Done a few new installs of LMDE recently and the updates while large have never caused any real problems but for other systems who really knows.
As to the seven plus hour pause and possible problems on the update the only way to know for sure is to use the system and find out. Like they say failure is always an option.
On the respin notification watch the forum, Clems blog, or the Community Site for news on the next LMDE respin. Trust me news won't be hard to find. Good Luck
gloss54

Re: {SOLVED] LMDE: 873mb updates on 1000mb install

Post by gloss54 »

Thanks. Marked solved.

Return to “LMDE Archive”