If you are having problems with multimedia look here.

Questions about codecs, DVD playback, web plugins...
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

Re: If you are having problems with multimedia look here.

Postby craiglewis139 on Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:57 am

Hi. I have just replaced Ubuntu with Linux Mint. I used to be able to play DVD iso files with VLC Player, having purchased a dvd player program from the Ubuntu Software Center. I am now trying to do the same thing under L-Mint. My problem is that I am getting an encryption error message. I tried the terminal script that is on the link, but got a number of file not found errors. Where can I go from here? Thanks in advance.
craiglewis139
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby highball58 on Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:37 am

Sorry if I sound a little sad, but Mint Julia was working pretty good. Not perfect, but pretty good. I waited for this release, but now I have problems, mostly with scrolling and sound. This sticky is not much help to Mint 13 Maya. It's for Ubuntu, but I'm hooked on Mint. Essentially, my problem lies in the fact that my sound is not very stable now, sometimes on, sometimes not on. Speakers, but no headset, headset but no speakers. Sometimes both, but not usually. I've updated my system a lot, fooled around with Pulse and Gnome Alsa Mixer, tweeked, used one or the other. I'm not sure how to get my system back up to operating speed again, or if I even can. Any way I can get reliable sound back? :( Scrolling marble mouse is another post! :|
highball58
Level 1
Level 1

Postby d_knuckle on Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:39 am

I like to watch the linux action show from jupiter broadcasting---in firefox using the stock multimedia sources for mint lisa lxde video jerks terribly--same video from same source using xbmc plays great...does the xbmc use different codecs than lisa comes with or what.If I could get the playback in a browser like it does in the media manager I would not need xbmc.
d_knuckle
Level 1
Level 1

Postby pgmer6809 on Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:56 am

The commands given in the link referred to do not work on my Maya system.
The reason is that the original poster was posting for the benefit of Ubuntu users.
so he used the term $(lsb_release -cs) in his cmd line.
On LInux Mint 13 that returns the value 'maya'.
The value you want is: 'precise'. (i.e the Ubuntu name for 12.04).

So you will have to modify the cmds he gave to hardwire 'precise' without the quote marks (for Maya release) wherever it says lsb_release -cs
and so forth.

pgmer6809
pgmer6809
Level 3
Level 3

Postby j paul on Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:28 am

mint newby
i tryed it and the respons was
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 404 Not Found
2013-01-13 14:31:08 ERROR 404: Not Found.
j paul
Level 1
Level 1

Postby T3(h_Fr34k on Tue May 28, 2013 10:43 pm

j paul wrote:mint newby
i tryed it and the respons was
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 404 Not Found
2013-01-13 14:31:08 ERROR 404: Not Found.

Same here, I just installed the non-free codecs through Synaptic, you can also look them up in synaptic If your in need of others!
Last edited by T3(h_Fr34k on Fri May 31, 2013 9:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
You can Use EverNote with Clearly & Evernote Web Clipper to save all of your Favorite tutorials all in one place!
T3(h_Fr34k
Level 1
Level 1

@j paul @highball58

Postby Fixitmanarizona on Thu May 30, 2013 4:24 am

That post is getting a little long in the tooth, as it were, and applies mostly to Medibuntu and other "buntus. Who uses Medibuntu??? Does that even still exist?
Still a great guide but a lot to wade through.
Possibly since it was originally about a release from four years ago, lots of stuff in it no longer works. If there is something in the repositories that's moved, for instance, or if your current configuration doesn't check the same places... that's a whole 'nother story.
Yes, find and USE synaptic (debian/ubuntu/mint systems.) If you're on a 'Buntu system, I've found their "Software Center" to be painfully slow and freezes up terribly if you try to do anything complicated like.. remove or install a package! I typically try it, it freezes, then I open Synaptic and remove the Software Center. No idea why this is, don't care.
As to the sound problems, search this forum for Piggy's solution to No Sound. Neat snippet of code using "dpkg-reconfigure linux-sound-base." Might help a lot of systems that have been messed with, like I did mine, trying out different sound controls, media players, etc.
Fixitman
Fixitmanarizona
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Previous

Return to Sound, Multimedia, & Codecs