Hei from Norway

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bjornmu
Level 3
Level 3

Hei from Norway

Post by bjornmu »

Hello from Trondheim where it is currently -10C :)

Coming from a university background and having worked at Sun (now Oracle), I've never been a Windows or Mac user but have been running various Solaris and Linux desktops since "forever". My primary desktop at home was a bit old and needed replacement so I got a new one. This retailer builds their own PCs from components, and I could select more memory and a bigger disk, and to my surprise I could even unselect Windows :o to avoid paying Microsoft.

Then it was time to select OS. The old one was running OpenSolaris and I could upgrade to Solaris 11 but I knew that would be somewhat limiting, e.g. I would not be able to upgrade Opera. My second desktop runs Fedora 13 and I have also been through earlier Fedora's so I decided to go for Fedora 18 beta. I wanted 18, not 17 since 18 includes MATE and I don't want to break with my Gnome 2 habits :)

But, installation was very buggy (manual partitioning of the SSD failed in 3 different ways), and when I finally got though and logged in, there was no desktop! :roll: Just a gray background and a minimalistic menu which was also partly broken. So, next choice was Mint 14.1 MATE and that installed like a charm. :D I made one change post-install, and that was to move /tmp to tmpfs, makes sense when you have 16 Gb of RAM but you're not sure what to use it all for.... Installation was done Jan 1, and on Jan 5 I had moved stuff over and my new box took over as primary desktop.

Looking at some of the forum posts here, I'm a bit surprised how many use the desktop tool for managing files and such, I guess many come from a Windows background. I know how to chmod a file in my terminal window to make it executable, I have no idea what GUI tool to use. :wink: I even installed tcsh and made that my login shell, been using it since even before bash was available....
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Hei from Norway

Post by xenopeek »

Hi bjornmu, welcome to Linux Mint :D With a SSD and 16 GiB RAM your system sound suspiciously like mine, so it should run like a charm indeed! Some tips on tweaking for performance/life-span of SSDs on Linux Mint: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 03#p461796. Perhaps a welcome read would be the Debian Administrator's Handbook, detailing for one the package management system used on Linux Mint. With Linux Mint being based on Ubuntu, and that in turn being based on Debian, most of the book applies though some bits are specific to Debian. It's available in several digital ways for free, though you can also purchase the printed book.
The-Wizard

Post by The-Wizard »

Welcome to the World of Mint and the Mint family forums

wizard
jesica

Post by jesica »

Good day

Welcome to the forums :mrgreen:
bimsebasse