Shutdown Messages

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

Shutdown Messages

Postby GaryN on Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:00 pm

I've looked and can't seem to find the answer to what I thought would be an easy question. I use the shutdown command to turn off my computer, and my old Ubuntu 10.04 used to give a message showing the time till shutdown, which would update every so often. With Mint kde 14 I get no messages, not even when I first issue the command, it used to say 'system will shoutdown in X minutes', or something like that, now it says nothing, which makes me wonder if it will really shutdown. I've tried the --verbose but it doesn't seem to make a difference.
Thanks for any advice!
GaryN
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Shutdown Messages

Postby viking777 on Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:17 pm

The shutdown command always requires a time element, that time element is usually 'now'. If you shutdown that way you will not get a countdown. However if you shutdown with:

Code: Select all
shutdown -h +5

Then you will (or at least I do)

NB +5 means shutdown in 5 minutes time.
Fujitsu Lifebook AH532. Intel i5 processor, 6Gb ram, Intel HD3000 graphics, Intel Audio/wifi. Realtek RTL8111/8168B Ethernet.Lubuntu 13.10,Ubuntu12.10 (Unity), Mint16 (Cinnamon), Manjaro (Xfce).
viking777
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Shutdown Messages

Postby GaryN on Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:28 pm

viking777 wrote:The shutdown command always requires a time element, that time element is usually 'now'. If you shutdown that way you will not get a countdown. However if you shutdown with:

Code: Select all
shutdown -h +5

Then you will (or at least I do)

NB +5 means shutdown in 5 minutes time.

Thanks viking777, but the problem was with 13 and not 14. I've used the shutdown -h 60, for example for ages, and it has always given me the "system will..." message, but on 13 it didn't, no biggie, just puzzled me. However, with 14 I get the message again, and at first glance, 14 is so sweet, I dont think I'll be using 13 anymore. Complements to the developers for sure!
GaryN
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Other topics