No proprietary drivers in "Software Sources"

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
fjdz

No proprietary drivers in "Software Sources"

Post by fjdz »

Hi,

I have Linux Mint 14 Cinnamon, and I would like to use the proprietary driver for my graphics card. But when I go to "Software Sourses" and "Additional Drivers" it just says "No proprietary drivers are in use", and there is no list of drivers to choose from. Below is the info I have about my graphics card:

Code: Select all

lspci | grep "VGA"
02:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI RV730 PRO [Radeon HD 4650]
What might be the problem? Is it possible to install the driver in some other way that through "Software sources"?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
zerozero

Re: No proprietary drivers in "Software Sources"

Post by zerozero »

amd dropped support for the 2xxx/4xxx series
sorry to say this but your card is not officially supported

there's an unsupported workaround that involves downgrading xorg and installing some legacy drivers but unless you know exactly what you are doing and are willing to accept the risks i won't advise that route; furthermore not all the reports i read are positive so the risk involved is great and is not granted that it will work.
fjdz

Post by fjdz »

Ok. Thanks for your reply! I guess I'll have to continue using the driver I have at the moment. The reason I wanted the proprietary driver is that my fan seems a bit over-active at the moment, and I think it has to do with this driver. In Windows the fan runs at full speed only when I'm playing games.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

the driver you are using is the open source and yes it is worst in power efficiency (you can see that in your comp running hotter than it would with the prop. drivers)

the option you have is install mint 13 (where you still have support for that card) and enabling the backports (see here http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2225) you'll get some of the features of nadia into maya.
fjdz

Post by fjdz »

Is there perhaps some other way to reduce the fan speed a bit, without over heating the computer? Here is the output of the "sensors" command:

Code: Select all

radeon-pci-0200
Adapter: PCI adapter
temp1:        +61.0°C  

k10temp-pci-00c3
Adapter: PCI adapter
temp1:        +24.0°C  (high = +70.0°C)
(I was only running firefox and some other standard programs when the temperature was measured.) Clearly the second value is very low, but I don't know about the first one. A quick search on the internet seems to indicate that 60 C is pretty normal for this graphics card.

Return to “Hardware Support”