SOLVED Hard drive recognition

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Betwixt
Level 2
Level 2

SOLVED Hard drive recognition

Post by Betwixt »

I have a Mint 14 MATE working and I installed a second HD of 250 GB size for a data backup. Using GParted I deleted everything and put in an Extended partition with a Logical partition taking up all the space. I had some problems so deleted the partitions and put in a single Primary parttion, formatted as before with either ext3 or ext4, but with the same result as follows:

In Computer, I could open/mount the disk but I could not create folders in it or even open it as administrator. The latter produces this:

Unable to determine the program to run.

The item you selected cannot be open with administrator powers because the correct application cannot be determined.

Checking the Permissions tab shows this:

The permissions of “250 GB Hard Disk:Backup” could not be determined.

What am I missing?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
russellz
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Hard drive recognition

Post by russellz »

Try deffining a mount point in Gparted -something like /Baackups
You should then see it as aa folder by that name off root

Russell
Laptop: HP17bs086nf, Intel Core i5-7200U, Intel HD Graphics 620 . Mint Cinnamon 21.1
Desktop: ASUS Prime B760-plus D4 motherboard, AMD Radeon RX6500XT, Intel 12th gen i7 12 core 3500MHz, 8GB ram, 500GB Samsung SSD, Mint Cinnamon 21.1
Betwixt
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Betwixt »

russellz wrote:Try deffining a mount point in Gparted -something like /Baackups
You should then see it as aa folder by that name off root

Russell
Thank you but GParted is not giving a mount point option - all the usual ones except that.

Terry
Betwixt
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Betwixt »

Further to my reply here is a screenshot
russellz
Level 3
Level 3

Post by russellz »

Yes, sorry, I was thinking of the partition editor in another distro. I think you will have to do it the hard way:

In a terminal type blkid, this will give a list of all your partitions with their UUID's.
Make a note of the UUID of your new partition, /dev/sdb1 (without the quotes)
Now right click on the file /etc/fstab and open it as administrator.make a backup copy by doing Save As and calling it fstab.old just in case you mess things up.
Now add the following at the end of the file:
UUID=(the number you noted) /Backups ext4 defaults 0 3
followed by return
Then save it as fstab.

Now reboot and you should have your new partition mounted as /Backup

Russell.
Laptop: HP17bs086nf, Intel Core i5-7200U, Intel HD Graphics 620 . Mint Cinnamon 21.1
Desktop: ASUS Prime B760-plus D4 motherboard, AMD Radeon RX6500XT, Intel 12th gen i7 12 core 3500MHz, 8GB ram, 500GB Samsung SSD, Mint Cinnamon 21.1
Betwixt
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Betwixt »

Thank you. I did that and GParted now shows the disk mounted at /Backups but it still doesn't permit me to open folders or even open as administrator. I did check the disk, again, by removing the drive disk and installing Mint which went in without a hitch. I then deleted all contents leaving the partition format alone, refitted the empty disk back as the second one. However, I used a different motherboard connection and revised FStab with the new UUID number and got the same result mentioned as shown.
Terry
russellz
Level 3
Level 3

Post by russellz »

The disk drive doesn't have permissions. Check the permissions of /Backup.

Failing that perhaps someone more knowledgeable could jump in?

Russell.
Betwixt
Level 2
Level 2

(SOLVED) Re: Hard drive recognition

Post by Betwixt »

Well, I have discovered a/the solution. As described, if I open Computer and try to open the second HD (sdb1) as Adminstrator then I get a refusal message - and no Permissions are listed. However, if I just open the drive but then go back up a level (using the up icon arrow) it is then possible to open as Administrator and, having done so, have full control to change permissions, open new folders, etc.

The foregoing works without having the drive mounted on startup so the fstab file can be left uinchanged.

Anyway, thanks for responses.

Terry

Return to “Hardware Support”