(initrans) Unable to find a medium containing a live file s

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
knoids

(initrans) Unable to find a medium containing a live file s

Post by knoids »

Hello, my name is Total Noob.

I have Windows 8 Consumer Preview. IT SUCKS. So I decided to try Linux Mint 14 mate. I downloaded the torrent, and then got an iso image. Then I Md5 checked it. The MD5 thing matched. (After 4 trys) Then I got the Iso image onto a dvd-r. I don't even remember how I got the iso image onto the dvd-r. (The dvd-r has 4.7gb on it, don't know if that matters.) Then I put the dvd-r into my laptop. Then I clicked "demo and full version." (Something like that.) Then I waited around for 3hrs, then my laptop said "(initrans) Unable to find a medium containing a live file system." I have done this process 3 times! What the heck is a live file system? Isn't that the dvd-r? If not, how do I get a live file system? I had the dvd-r in while I was installing Linux Mint.

Could anybody link me to a YouTube video that shows a complete installation of Linux Mint? Nobody seems to show how they got the iso image onto a dvd-r, or the steps before they have the option to click "download" for Linux! What I really need is pre-download help. If you answered, thanks so much for your time!

-Total Noob
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
thegreatgazoo

Re: (initrans) Unable to find a medium containing a live fil

Post by thegreatgazoo »

Hey, when you download Linux mint you may want to download the Linux mint 13, 32bit mate version.
I like this one because the mate desktop environment is more compatible with older PC's but still works fine with newer ones. Also the 32 bit version will work on both 32 and 64 bit CPUs. And lastly mint 13 is a long term support release, so you won't have to worry about it for a few years.
This is what I prefer, others may disagree.

Make sure and download it from the Linux mint website. I don't trust .iso files found by searching with the torrent sites.

So you have a .iso file.
In windows download imgburn to burn the disc. Or use whatever burning software you may already have. You can't just burn a DVD with the .iso file, you have to find the option that says "burn image" to do it.

When it's done, you should be able to boot with it.

This video does a decent job of showing you how to do it.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=9Dy6OlXh ... Dy6OlXhWVk

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Great video tutorial. Very useful for all those who do not know how to create a bootable DVD from a downloaded ISO image file.
And all those who do not watch the tutorial video "How to Burn A Live Linux CD" on their smart phones, but on their computers may wish to use this link instead.

Once the ISO image file has been correctly burnt on the DVD, there is another tutorial video made by the same producer about Installing Linux Mint 11 'Katya'. - Do not turn away because it says "Mint 11". As a matter of fact, installing Mint for most users has not changed much between Mint 11 and Mint 14.
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 762 days now.
Lifeline
knoids

Post by knoids »

Holy cow!!! Thanks so much! YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS. I have Linux Mint!!!!

One question: What is the difference between 32 bit and 64 bit? is one slower than the other? It doesn't really matter to me, I just want to know the difference. Seriously, thanks! I spent over 10 hrs just fiddeling around, but to no avail. Then I found this forum, and my searching is complete! Mint is so good!

Actually, another question: How do you install Mozilla Firefox 18? It is so complicated!

Again, thanks!
thegreatgazoo

Post by thegreatgazoo »

Basically 64 bit can address more than 4 gigs of ram, but now so can 32 bit with the pae kernel. So I just stick to 32 bit for convenience.

Firefox gets updated along with all other installed software. So just do your updates and you should be good.
knoids

Post by knoids »

[quote=Firefox gets updated along with all other installed software. So just do your updates and you should be good.[/quote]

But it doesn't look like the Mozilla on Windows. That orange bar in the top left corner is gone! Does the Linux version of Mozilla just look different?
thegreatgazoo

Post by thegreatgazoo »

yeah, they change the theme slightly on Linux and mac. You can right-click somewhere on the grey bars on top and select customize. You can then arrange things to look like you expect. Also, there are themes you can install to make it look exactly like it does on windows or mac.
knoids

Post by knoids »

Ok I will do that. So I do have Mozilla Firefox 18? How can I be sure?
thegreatgazoo

Post by thegreatgazoo »

Open Firefox, in the menu click on help, then about. It should have the version number.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
knoids

Post by knoids »

Ok, so it says Firefox 18. But under that, it says "Mozilla Firefox for Linux Mint - 1.0" Does your thing say that too? Do I have Firefox 18, or 1.0?

I also want to thank you guys. I really appreciate all of your help!
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, knoids.

It is Firefox 18.0. Be assured. - The rest just means that the Mint makers added some minor modifications like e.g. the "Mint search enhancer" to Firefox.

Kind regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 762 days now.
Lifeline
knoids

Post by knoids »

karlchen wrote:Hello, knoids.

It is Firefox 18.0. Be assured. - The rest just means that the Mint makers added some minor modifications like e.g. the "Mint search enhancer" to Firefox.

Kind regards,
Karl

Cool! Thanks!!!

Return to “Installation & Boot”