Tracker? Beagle? what are used and what works?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ChrisP

Tracker? Beagle? what are used and what works?

Post by ChrisP »

I am hoping to use a desktop/LAN searcher on my system but have hit some blockages.
Tracker, I discovered, is installed and the daemon is running but is not 'tracking'.
Type 'tracker-status' and I get this:
tracker-status: no connection to tracker daemon

~/.local/share/tracker/tracker.log says:
31 Mar 2008, 12:20:49:109 - ERROR: tracker_dbus_init() could not get the session bus
31 Mar 2008, 12:20:49:128 - DBUS ERROR: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply occurred with message Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

Looking in ~/.local/share/tracker shows its only resident is 'common.db' (160Kb) whose contents seem to be a skeleton of data types waiting to be filled.

I am out of my depth with this result. What can I do to get it (or Beagle?) working, please?

[Edit]
After a reboot the GUI started working! The CLI utils do not but I can live (probably quite happily) without that for now.

My main data files are now held on an NTFS partition after being moved back from an ext2 one. The Ext2FS file system thingie that I use to read/write to ext3 from windows causes it to often be fsck-ed on rebooting. I need to index them from Mint, so is it effective/safe to add 'user_xattr' to ntfs partitions to aid tracker? I got the feeling from a MS Support article that it might not be. A feeling, I am not bright enough to determine whether the issues they raised were actually relevant. Does 'extended attributes' mean the same thing in Windows as it does in Linux?

I will be reading further into the effective use of Tracker. Has anybody got more recent experience of using it - better front-ends, any plugins, that sort of thing?

Many thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Tracker? Beagle? what are used and what works?

Post by MagnusB »

Take a look at GNOME do. It indexes your files pretty good...
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin

Return to “Software & Applications”