Using tar to back up Windows and Linux install

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jms

Using tar to back up Windows and Linux install

Post by jms »

Hi, I'm dual booting windows 7 and linux mint, and trying to set up some method for backing up these installs. I'd like to be able at any time to restore the installations to the state they were in when I did the backup, and especially for windows, to preserve my activation key.

Will tar work for this purpose? If I wanted to just tar the entire partition where each install is located, could I then in the future re-create those partitions (assuming they were lost) and just unpack the tarball, and be up and running just like that?

It seems the only other option is to make an image of the disk, but this doesn't seem ideal because (1) I have to have the filesystem unmounted at the time I perform the backup, and (2) most of the space on the disk right now is empty, and making a straight image of the disk will include all this empty space. Or is that not true?

Also, is it possible to backup your paritition table, and re-make the partitions with the same UUIDS so that your fstab file will work when you try to recover?

Sorry that's a lot of questions, but any help in clearing up some of my confusion is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Orbmiser

Re: Using tar to back up Windows and Linux install

Post by Orbmiser »

"most of the space on the disk right now is empty, and making a straight image of the disk will include all this empty space. Or is that not true?"
Not true will only back up the used space not empty. When restoring has to be to same size of original partition or larger in size.
"Also, is it possible to backup your paritition table, and re-make the partitions with the same UUIDS so that your fstab file will work when you try to recover?"
I have done clean installs and the uuid's did not change. If I did a clean restore with a new drive. Then the imaging program when restoring would assign those uuids to the new hardrive. As a image restore is a byte-by-byte original copy.

I like Redo backup It's free and 250mb iso to burn a bootable disk. Same as under the hood engine as Clonezilla just as not as difficult or as many features.
http://redobackup.org/
Allows me to backup all in one 2 NTFS Win7 & Winxp with mbr, 3 Linux mint partitions. Or can backup the Windows partition separately as a set and then Linux ones as a set. As long as I don't change the partitions then can just restore what's needed instead of full drive backup or restore. Bork my Linux Mint then restore and back up in 30 mins.

Also have installed Ubuntu 12.10 & Fuduntu over mint and then backed those up. Now if I want to try them again can restore them to mints location and run those for awhile. And then restore mint back over those going back to my mint install where I left off.

Clonezilla is another one to consider more flexible and many more fine-tune features. But more difficult to use.
I love Redo as gets the job done and comes with extras and even wifi connection if needed.
jms

Post by jms »

Thanks, I'll check it out. How large of a file does the backup with redo end up being, exactly the same size as the used space on the partition?
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

Yes same size but may actually be a tad smaller I believe? as compresses how much don't know?
You can check out the Redo forums for more details.

Return to “Beginner Questions”