changing the icon in the task bar

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ms2542

changing the icon in the task bar

Post by ms2542 »

hi,

I've been running on Linux Mint for the past 5 days and love it but I was wondering if I could get some help in changing the firefox logo in the taskbar (or the panel...I'm not sure what it's called in Linux). I've attached the icon that is displayed in my taskbar and I was able to find it but I can't seem to replace it for some reason with the icon of my choosing. I'm wondering if I have to be signed in as root? If so, how would I do that? Do I have to use the terminal or can I do that Nautilus?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thank you for your time.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DataMan

Re: changing the icon in the task bar

Post by DataMan »

Try this:

1. Go to the Mint Menu
2. In the internet option find Firefox and hover and right click on the icon.
3. Choose Edit Properties
4. Click on the icon and select the desired icon.

-DataMan
ms2542

Post by ms2542 »

Thanks for the reply. I've tried that and I was able to change the icon on the desktop but not on the bottom taskbar. I've attached a picture that should explain better what I want to accomplish.

Any help is appreciated!
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

I think the only way you can do that is to physically replace the icon in your icon theme (mint-x in your case) with one of your choosing. It's not dead simple to do.
caribriz

Post by caribriz »

A bit late, but try this - as bimsebasse says, physically change the icon (this is for Linux Mint 13 - Cinnamon):

Right-click your current Firefox Web Browser icon on the panel, click Remove.

Click Menu > Internet > Right-click Firefox Web Browser
Click Remove from Favourites. Close Menu.

Now install new icon in Menu, panel, and in the Menu favourites list:

Right-click Menu button > Edit menu
In left pane, click Internet
In right pane, click "Firefox Web Browser" > click Properties
In the Launcher Properties box, click the Firefox icon on the left ..... the "Choose an icon" box opens
Navigate to where your new icon is located, click it, and click Open.
Close Launcher Properties box ... then close Main Menu box.

Menu > Internet > Right-click "Firefox Web Browser"
Click Add to panel

While Menu is still open, again Right-click "Firefox Web Browser"
Click Add to Favourites

Move to desired location in panel and Menu Favourites list on the left (click/drag).
Firefox icons changed.png
caribriz
tg0000
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tg0000 »

caribriz wrote:A bit late, but try this - as bimsebasse says, physically change the icon (this is for Linux Mint 13 - Cinnamon):
caribriz
Would like to throw in my two bits of appreciation and say that after googling for forty-five minutes and trying a bunch of things on my own based on past hacking experience, I wasn't able to get anything to work. ... Thanks caribriz, I should have come here first. These instructions also worked great on Linux Mint 13 running MATE.
caribriz wrote: Right-click your current Firefox Web Browser icon on the panel, click Remove.

Click Menu > Internet > Right-click Firefox Web Browser
Click Remove from Favourites. Close Menu.
caribriz
I personally don't like removing things unless I know that it's going to work ahead of time, so I first followed your steps below on how to create a new icon. I made sure that everything worked first before removing the icon that I knew was working properly.
caribriz wrote: Now install new icon in Menu, panel, and in the Menu favourites list:

Right-click Menu button > Edit menu
In left pane, click Internet
In right pane, click "Firefox Web Browser" > click Properties
In the Launcher Properties box, click the Firefox icon on the left ..... the "Choose an icon" box opens
Navigate to where your new icon is located, click it, and click Open.
Close Launcher Properties box ... then close Main Menu box.

Menu > Internet > Right-click "Firefox Web Browser"
Click Add to panel
caribriz
Thanks again caribriz for making these instruction such a breeze to follow.
alexwi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by alexwi »

I'm posting in case someone else runs into this issue:

If you're doing all the right things (menu editor, etc.) and the task bar (windows list) still shows the wrong icon, start digging through your menus in the menu editor and make sure that you don't have other shortcuts for the same program with a different icon.

Return to “Other topics”