2 separate drives, need new boot menu

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dotgillies

2 separate drives, need new boot menu

Post by dotgillies »

I have windows on one drive and a new install of linuxmint64 on another that was added to computer. How do I change the boot menu to include both. I prefer linux to be in charge.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
usbtux

Re: 2 separate drives, need new boot menu

Post by usbtux »

Reinstall grub with following steps

boot and run from Linux Live DVD/CD
from a terminal sudo os-prober, and look for the mint partition this should be the / partition (root)
mount it with sudo mount /dev/sdaX /mnt, replace X with actual root partition of your selection
reinstall grub with sudo grub-install --root-directory=/mnt /dev/sda

OR

In windows install http://neosmart.net/EasyBCD/ and add an entry for mint.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Re: 2 separate drives, need new boot menu

Post by AlbertP »

Do you already see the Grub boot menu when booting? You will need to tell your BIOS to boot from the Linux disk, if you don't see a Grub boot menu yet.
If you can get the Grub menu to appear, running "sudo update-grub" in terminal is enough to have it detect the Windows disk too. Then you don't need to reinstall Grub boot sector like usbtux said.

@ usbtux: I guess that dotgillies only needs a menu entry for Windows and already has a working Grub. Then reinstalling Grub boot sector won't help: this does not edit the menu entries, that is what sudo update-grub does. Reinstalling Grub only makes sense if you cannot get any Grub menu or cannot boot Linux at all.
Of course with BCD it might work too, but dotgillies prefers Linux to be in charge so having Windows in Grub is preferred above having Linux in BCD.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.

Return to “Installation & Boot”