Cinnamon applet problem

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ChrisOfBristol

Cinnamon applet problem

Post by ChrisOfBristol »

I had a lot of problems with losing the panels and the window decorations until I started again with a blank /home partition.

I find these applets http://cinnamon-spices.linuxmint.com/applets/view/51 very desirable as I far prefer the original Applications/Places/System menu to the current Cinnamon one, so I installed them, and the problems are back. Sometimes removing and reinstalling Compiz can fix it but not always. I have now removed the applets completely and the problem has gone.
Is it possible that there is something wrong with these applets?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Orbmiser

Re: Cinnamon applet problem

Post by Orbmiser »

Might be wrong but you are using Mint 14 Cinnamon and Compiz doesn't play nice with it?
From what I read you need to be using mate version with Compiz?

Applets work fine on mine and don't use Compiz.
ChrisOfBristol

Post by ChrisOfBristol »

I've no idea whether it is using Compiz - I've only just installed Linux Mint and haven't messed about with it. I have also deleted most of the hidden files to avoid problems. Is there a way to check whether Compiz is in use, perhaps by using gconf-editor?
Last edited by ChrisOfBristol on Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

"Sometimes removing and reinstalling Compiz can fix it but not always."
Tells me you have Compiz installed? And maybe you shouldn't have it installed and running.
As I believe it's not compatible with Cinnamon 14 nadia.
ChrisOfBristol

Post by ChrisOfBristol »

I thought I'd see how things went without Compiz or anything to replace it and so I typed:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get remove compiz
Everything still works and those applets are ok so far. Thanks for the tip. I didn't install Compiz so I don't know where it came from!

Update: Everything was ok for a while, but the problems started again, so I have had to remove them. A pity as they are just what I want for Cinnamon.
elboxmano

Post by elboxmano »

This is quite bad news. Just as I was learning to like cinnamon.....One of the things I really loved about my old ubuntu install was how cool compriz made it...shame to lose it....

How likely do people think is it that we'll see a fix to make compriz work come out?

Anyway this is the first fight I'm having in my love affair with linux mint.....let's hope we can get through this....

Return to “Cinnamon”