Mint without a desktop environment

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
xclusive585

Mint without a desktop environment

Post by xclusive585 »

I don't want to make a distro based on Mint. I want Mint to release their os without a desktop environment as a server edition.

Please?

It's really nothing but compiling an image without desktop environment or dependencies for a DE.

Pretty please?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Mint without a desktop environment

Post by xenopeek »

Post split from http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=28717 and moved here. Have a look around the Suggestions & New Ideas, or on the Community site; this has been suggested before quite a few times. The answer is always the same; what makes Linux Mint is the desktop environment refinements. If you strip that, you get the Ubuntu Server Edition...
xclusive585

Post by xclusive585 »

xenopeek wrote:Post split from http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=28717 and moved here. Have a look around the Suggestions & New Ideas, or on the Community site; this has been suggested before quite a few times. The answer is always the same; what makes Linux Mint is the desktop environment refinements. If you strip that, you get the Ubuntu Server Edition...
Can you take Ubuntu server and re-brand it then?
=P

But seriously.
Another thing that makes Mint what it is, is it doesn't follow Ubuntu's updates! Mintupdate has the packages to be updated figured out by someone at Mint I'm assuming.
You could make it Mint server, as opposed to Ubuntu server simply by forking apt-get into mint-get, and feed mintupdates into that, so we don't have Ubuntu's 50 daily updates always breaking things...
xclusive585

Post by xclusive585 »

xenopeek wrote:Post split from http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=28717 and moved here. Have a look around the Suggestions & New Ideas, or on the Community site; this has been suggested before quite a few times. The answer is always the same; what makes Linux Mint is the desktop environment refinements. If you strip that, you get the Ubuntu Server Edition...
You have XFCE and KDE, which are not Mint desktops...
Catbuntu

Post by Catbuntu »

I think that a server edition would be great, but I have to admit that it would be more work and more things to mantain... Especially a server edition, where the stability is primordial. And, in my opinion, Ubuntu Server is good enough... But if a Minty fan did a server edition, I'd like it :)

Cat

Return to “Open Chat”