Another new user. :wink:

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
meteorrock

Another new user. :wink:

Post by meteorrock »

Hi everyone. I just started using linux mint with the desktop environment for MATE using a hypervisor on my Windows 7 OS. :D

Looking to develop my first android Loadable module kernel with this linux build up in cyanogenmod. Check my forums here. http://forum.cyanogenmod.org/forum/222- ... ook-color/

I got a personal blog on the forums for the nook color at this link here for anyone interested on android kernel development and hypervisor. 8) http://forum.cyanogenmod.org/topic/5099 ... w-to-code/

I found this linux build to be very good and smooth using virtualization. One bug stands out though for this build is through the update manager for linux mint, it will lag the whole system down while it is checking on updates for a few seconds. The MATE desktop is very nice and customizable, using some icons found at gnome-look.org, the Faenza 1.3.1 icon package with clearlooks.

Anyone with knowledge in building android builds and know how to use CLI commands and switches to build modules is welcomed to come up to the XDA nook color forums. Right now we are looking to get the USB host module up and going on the nook color on Cyanogenmod 10 using Android 4.1 Jellybean. Thanks. :wink:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Orbmiser

Re: Another new user. :wink:

Post by Orbmiser »

Hi meteorrock I see you found mint. Seen you over at cyanogenmod and B&N Nook Color forums.
As have a Nook color and forum name orb9220 @ B&N forums.
Welcome and hope you find Linux mint useful.
meteorrock

Post by meteorrock »

Why, thanks :) Linux mint is really nice. I am liking it more than windows now.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Welcome to Linux Mint :D Sounds like you are having fun! Hack on 8)

You can switch to a mirror server for the Linux Mint repository, this should reduce the lag caused by the Update Manager. To switch, open Software Sources from the menu, in the "Download from" selection box choose "Other" and in the window that opens either choose a mirror server yourself or use the "Select Best Server" to test them all and be recommended one. Confirm with "Choose Server" and providing your password. More complete description and steps here: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=122213.
The-Wizard

Post by The-Wizard »

Welcome to the Mint family forums

wizard
meteorrock

Post by meteorrock »

xenopeek wrote:Welcome to Linux Mint :D Sounds like you are having fun! Hack on 8)

You can switch to a mirror server for the Linux Mint repository, this should reduce the lag caused by the Update Manager. To switch, open Software Sources from the menu, in the "Download from" selection box choose "Other" and in the window that opens either choose a mirror server yourself or use the "Select Best Server" to test them all and be recommended one. Confirm with "Choose Server" and providing your password. More complete description and steps here: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=122213.
bjornmu
Level 3
Level 3

Post by bjornmu »

Nice to see some from the next generation also getting off Windows/Mac. It reminds me: I had just been thinking that when I next "retire" a desktop I could give it to my niece who is now almost 12, and try to get her to install Linux on it. :D I'm not sure she would be interested in that though...

You seem to be quite interested though and not just a casual user. And you're running the MATE desktop too, good choice even though it's not the "latest and greatest". I'm sure you will enjoy Linux. 8)
meteorrock

Post by meteorrock »

Thanks :) I just went with this Mate desktop just out of a whim really. It does not seem to theme and skin all the way through the interfaces on the desktop though, like package manager defaults back to the skin it came with along with nautlius. Does the other desktops do the same? I just found out other third party tools like gdebi were updated to use gtk3 instead of the default gtk2 engines for skinning on the DE.

I know its kind of nitpicky but I just find it annoying. I might look into the cinnamon desktop in a few days and see how that desktop runs. Here in the valley most parents will not let children use windows for a desktop, I started using Qimo just 2 years ago. I had to beg my parents for windows 7 because I wanted to check over games on it not available for linux. The sooner you expose kids to linux the better, most kids my age and younger are knowledgeable enough to use linux and android even at the age 12 or younger. If they are into tech that is. Now that linux has ported over hundreds of games for linux on that gaming app "steam", I get better performance without the noticeable lags on games on this environment even using the same computer hardware. The games just run better under linux.

Since I use a unity like desktop on my mobile devices most of the day I just wanted to experiment with a desktop with a menu bar like windows 7. I was going to go with ubuntu but that new unity desktop ... :roll:
bjornmu
Level 3
Level 3

Post by bjornmu »

Ah, I see your location, then it makes sense. :wink: I may be the only among ~35 at my job who hasn't been to Silicon Valley, despite working for a company with its HQ there. :roll: I think my niece would be skeptical, she's not very interested in these things, nor are her parents. I guess your parents aren't using Windows either?

Themes and skins, I don't care, I just want things to be functional. And I don't care to test other desktops so can't answer you question.

You certainly seem "knowledgeable enough to use linux and android" as you say, developing for android even? I must confess I haven't got a smartphone yet :oops: , but I will soon and it will be some android. I don't want WIndows and I don't want iStuff. :)
meteorrock

Post by meteorrock »

Yeah, my parents work at oracle doing something during the day. If you are seen using windows here in school you are ridiculed for being an idiot, lol. Mac users rule here, but if you are seen using linux to do anything you are looked up to. More apps on that linux box you have on your laptop is looked upon in awe. Same with android.

Some of those apps for linux are not on the easy side to install either. No .debs for them so you are trying to compile them to get them up and working. :)
AnonKS

Post by AnonKS »

I'm using cinnamon right now. Find it a lot smoother than unity or kde. Haven't tried Kate yet, but I didn't care for gnome 2 that much.

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D X515m using Tapatalk 2
bjornmu
Level 3
Level 3

Post by bjornmu »

At Oracle, oh I work there too! :o Well it's a big company... I was at Sun until we got acquired and so naturally, I run Solaris on my office desktop, and even did at home until I got this new box. You're right, smart kids don't run Windows. :) And smarter kids don't get trapped in by Apple either. :wink:
jesica

Post by jesica »

Good day

Welcome to the forums :mrgreen:

Return to “Introduce Yourself”