The unofficial LMDE Xfce UP6 SR1

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
raidensub

Re: The unofficial LMDE Xfce UP6

Post by raidensub »

Schoelje wrote:
raidensub wrote:One question, are the isos hybrid?
They are the same as any LM iso. So, they're hybrid (bootable from DVD and USB).
You should be able to do this to make a bootable USB:

Code: Select all

dd if=lmdexfce32_up6_201301.iso of=/dev/sdb

Thanks
widget

Post by widget »

On the Live Session right now. Install is finishing up.

Live Session looks fine.

This was another LMDE disk that booted correctly. GOOD JOB.

Install seems to work will report in a few minutes.
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

jjaythomas wrote:Is Just me or...

printing/cups missing on 64bit (at least)

J.Jay
Compared to LMDE KDE I'm missing these:

bluez-cups cups-pdf python-cups python-cupshelpers
Is that what you are missing?

[EDIT]
...and this one:

openprinting-ppds
Last edited by Schoelje on Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
widget

Post by widget »

Looking very nice.

Booted clean. I should add that Plymouth cannot be let run on this box. Simply dropping "splash" from the instruction string in the menu entry does that fine. If I don't it will take at least 5 minutes for anything to boot and they will usually not shut down at all but sometimes will if you wait 15 to 20 minutes.

Just thought I should throw that in in case anyone wonders why Debian does not use it by default. It really excludes a lot of hardware from running Linux.

I have not tried, probably should, removing it. You can't do that with the Ubuntu based distros because it is included with the meta package "ubuntu-minimal" and just about the entire rest of the default packages depend on plymouth anyway so you are just destroying your install be removing it.

In Debian it is a nice safe stand alone package that nothing depends on.

Another interesting thing about Plymouth is that I have never had a boot log generated with it installed. The Ubuntu devs actually banned me from filing bugs against plymouth because I would not give them the boot logs that I did not have. I am not the only one. If you wonder why there are not more bugs against it this is the reason.

Plymouth is the boot manager through plymouth.d. Thus it makes sure that boot logs are written. Right.

Enough rant about things that I know how to deal with that relate only to my hardware and some other folks too but they will not be using this as the Live Session will not boot if they do not, at least, hit escape when the splash starts.

This bugger looks real good. Haven't found anything not working.

Music blasting nicely (Jethro Tull - the band not the father of modern agriculture).

Need to reboot and add my other drive back on. Then I can finish setting this up.
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

widget wrote:I should add that Plymouth cannot be let run on this box.
Before and/or after installation? Live it uses uvesafb (just check /etc/default/grub settings) and after installation it uses drm (the recommended driver).
widget wrote:In Debian it is a nice safe stand alone package that nothing depends on.
True, you can run DPM first and select the "no plymouth theme" option (last in list).
This will remove any configuration.
After that you can purge plymouth:

sudo apt-get purge plymouth*
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

Is there anyone who would like to write a review?
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 51#p673151
widget

Post by widget »

Schoelje wrote:
widget wrote:I should add that Plymouth cannot be let run on this box.
Before and/or after installation? Live it uses uvesafb (just check /etc/default/grub settings) and after installation it uses drm (the recommended driver).
widget wrote:In Debian it is a nice safe stand alone package that nothing depends on.
True, you can run DPM first and select the "no plymouth theme" option (last in list).
This will remove any configuration.
After that you can purge plymouth:

sudo apt-get purge plymouth*
Sorry for the rant.

I am familiar with the menu entries. And how to modify them. Learned all that crap when Ubuntu decided to go with Plymouth for 10.04-testing and the release.

All I need to do on any thing using plymouth is hit exit when it comes up. That kills the splash which is the only thing that kills me.

I use custom entries for all my installs so it is very simple to leave splash out of the process. It is easy to do if you use the normal generated menu entries by simply editing the /etc/default/grub file to not use a splash. Either is actually easier than messing with the plymouth config.

I am quite familiar with plymouth themes, have even made a couple. Can't use it.

Ubuntu has lost members over it. Fedora lost members because of it before Ubuntu ever messed with it. The Ubuntu devs did more to make that pig run in 6 months than the Fedora devs did in 3 years. It now runs well on most hardware.

The problem is that it is also more patch than anything else. Everytime they patch it there is an improvement for a lot of hardware. It makes it harder to get it to run on other hardware.

I was very lucky in 10.04-testing. Never had a problem with it. Until 5 days before the release (after the RC was out) and there was an upgrade for plymouth. I still can't boot a 10.04 iso. The newer releases I can. I have even copied installs from another box to here and messed with it. Won't boot.

Sounds like a rock crusher instead of a HDD running. Ruined one drive doing that and gave up on 10.04. That makes 5 HDDs that I know of that it ruined.

Is very much improved now. Boots in less than 5 minutes everytime. Most under 3. If you don't mind the boot time and using Alt + SysRq + b to reboot it is not bad. If I leave the splash off, however, things boot in about a minute and they shut down faster than that.

These are well known problems and have been for a long time. I am sure another fad splash will come along soon, I hope so anyway, and then everyone will jump on that. Hopefully it will be as well written as some of the others that were used and not as poorly as plymouth.

I have the entire thing pretty much set up to my liking. A little tweaking will need done yet but not much. Haven't run into a problem yet.

Have quite a busy day tomorrow but hope to finish it off and drop a screen shot off here.

Nice to see Ristretto and I hadn't looked at screenshooter but was glad to see it there. I like it real well. If I don't use it I use scrot.

Have never used Exaile but my son does. He likes it more than I do but this version is the best I have used.

Rhythmbox and Gedit are the 2 things I like from Gnome. Without recommends they add 27 packages. I like Rhythmbox as a player. Personal thing. Gedit has tabs and when you are opening several instances of one file from different installs to compare that is important to me. If Mouspad had tabs I would never bother with Gedit again. Works great for simply working in one install like a normal person anyway.

Don't know if there is going to be another release of this or not but I do have a / partition for it. I certainly don't see any need of one so far.

If not I will have to get the address posted a couple other places. I think it may go over very well. It should. Very nice.
Matt267
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Matt267 »

Schoelije,

Great job on this unofficial LMDE release. I'm running it "live" off of a USB on my netbook and it's running really nice. I'm trying to test/install a printer and CUPS wants a username and password. What should I use for the live version.

Thanks,

Matt
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

Matt267 wrote:Schoelije,

Great job on this unofficial LMDE release. I'm running it "live" off of a USB on my netbook and it's running really nice. I'm trying to test/install a printer and CUPS wants a username and password. What should I use for the live version.

Thanks,

Matt
You've got two options:
  1. mint without a password (this should work)
  2. root / schoelje
Check this out if you're missing cups packages: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 91#p673591
Matt267
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Matt267 »

Schoelije,

Thanks for the quick response. Option 2 (root / schoelje) did the trick. I was able to install my printer at localhost:631. The CUPS test page took a really long time to print (it spent a lot of time "spooling") and trying to print a random page locked up the netbook. I've had trouble printing with LMDE XFCE since UP3. I'm going to keep playing around with it.

Thanks,

Matt
widget

Post by widget »

Matt267 wrote:Schoelije,

Thanks for the quick response. Option 2 (root / schoelje) did the trick. I was able to install my printer at localhost:631. The CUPS test page took a really long time to print (it spent a lot of time "spooling") and trying to print a random page locked up the netbook. I've had trouble printing with LMDE XFCE since UP3. I'm going to keep playing around with it.

Thanks,

Matt
I have no idea how much ram you have on that thing but if you are running the Live Session you are running from ram and the disk. This takes a lot more resources than an install would.

I woul give an install a try. Surely you have 6 gigs to spare.
Matt267
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Matt267 »

widget,

I have 1 gig of ram in the netbook. But I agree with you, a real install would be a better way to test it out. I"m looking forward to see how much (or how little) power it uses. I'm always trying to extend the battery life.

Matt
jjaythomas

Post by jjaythomas »

jjaythomas wrote:Is Just me or...

printing/cups missing on 64bit (at least)

J.Jay

Compared to LMDE KDE I'm missing these:

Is that what you are missing?

[EDIT]
...and this one:

openprinting-ppds
Thank You so much for answering:
just use to the printing in the system settings(!) I usally install 'hplip-gui' to setup printer kept getting errors test page (seemed to setup printer with driver) assumed (bad habit :oops: ) that cups was not installed.

Thank You (will try again with above installed)
J.Jay
jjaythomas

Post by jjaythomas »

Tried installing
seemed to hang saying (in terminal) reloading common unix printing system: cupsd
finally finished with error couldn't reload cups configuration.

Tried synaptic can,t get exclusive lock. After reboot synaptic ... reconfigure -a (pasted command right into sudo (in terminal). Same result hang then error can't reconfigure.

J.Jay
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

jjaythomas wrote:Tried installing
seemed to hang saying (in terminal) reloading common unix printing system: cupsd
finally finished with error couldn't reload cups configuration.

Tried synaptic can,t get exclusive lock. After reboot synaptic ... reconfigure -a (pasted command right into sudo (in terminal). Same result hang then error can't reconfigure.

J.Jay
Have you tried this:

sudo mint-choose-debian-mirror
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get -f install
And try to install the packages one by one:

sudo apt-get install python-cups
sudo apt-get install  python-cupshelpers
With each line be careful to read the error messages and post them back here (if any).
jjaythomas

Post by jjaythomas »

Had done this before tried printer
[quote]sudo mint-choose-debian-mirror
sudo apt-get update/quote]

had not tried other will try again with above. I Wiped install so will try from fresh install (after choose mirrors again).

I'll keep posted
J.Jay
jjaythomas

Post by jjaythomas »

Mp Printing seemed to work...

did step outlined above. I then set up printer using 'hplip-gui'. Would print a random FF web page. will N0T print a test page from hp toolkit (can live with that).
Tried install (from synaptic) 'cups-pdf' (I use more than I use physical printer)(always install on sys) hangs on reloading cups, errors that configs can't reload.

Renders synaptic unusable error
E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem.
E: _cache->open() failed, please report.
when runs goes back to reloading then can't configs!

J.Jay
17xeros

Post by 17xeros »

Hi,
How do I do automatic login ? no "Login window" under "System" submenu.
Thank you.
wayne128

Post by wayne128 »

17xeros wrote:Hi,
How do I do automatic login ? no "Login window" under "System" submenu.
Thank you.

To login automatically, as root edit the file

/etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf
search for the line
#autologin-user=
remove the hash (#) and add your username after '=',

for example,mine look like these
#session-cleanup-script=
#autologin-guest=false
autologin-user=wayne
#autologin-user-timeout=0
#autologin-session=UNIMPLEMENTED
#exit-on-failure=false

Save and exit.

Then, as root, edit

/usr/share/xsessions/lightdm-xsession.desktop
and replace

Exec=default
with

Exec=startxfce4
save and exit.

for example, mine looks like this
$ cat /usr/share/xsessions/lightdm-xsession.desktop
[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Name=Default Xsession
Exec=startxfce4
Icon=
Type=Application
widget

Post by widget »

jjaythomas wrote:Mp Printing seemed to work...

did step outlined above. I then set up printer using 'hplip-gui'. Would print a random FF web page. will N0T print a test page from hp toolkit (can live with that).
Tried install (from synaptic) 'cups-pdf' (I use more than I use physical printer)(always install on sys) hangs on reloading cups, errors that configs can't reload.

Renders synaptic unusable error
E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem.
E: _cache->open() failed, please report.
when runs goes back to reloading then can't configs!

J.Jay
Did you run, as root;

dpkg --configure -a
If so did it clear the problem?

Return to “Chat about Linux”