Trying to install 14 through USB

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
HappyWifey86

Trying to install 14 through USB

Post by HappyWifey86 »

I am trying to update my eeepc with the latest mint 14. I currently have I believe 13 on here and have no issues other then it's slowed down after numerous times of not shutting it down properly. I have mint 14 32bit on a usb hard drive and go into the pre screen (where you hit f2) and tell it to book from usb. It tries to, but just ends up after trying for a while booting from the hard drive. Is there anything that I am missing? I even tried opening the files to try installing while in Linux but it gave an error message.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Trying to install 14 through USB

Post by xenopeek »

You won't be able to install Linux Mint 14 while booted into Linux Mint 13, at least not that I know of. If you boot from your USB storage with Linux Mint 14 installer on it, do you get to the 10 second count down screen it shows before it boots?
DrHu

Re: Trying to install 14 through USB

Post by DrHu »

You may have the whole drive partitioned for the running (already installed) Linux OS
--the usb may not be able to boot correctly unless discovered on the boot sequence

If you have some free space on the hard drive (an allocated, free or unformatted partition), then you may be able to install if the usb can be booted from another OS
--it would also help to know which product you used to create a bootable usb (is it bootable or not); you can test if it is by assigning the usb device as the boot device in the BIOS of the machine and doing a test boot
  • If that doesn't work, then your usb is not a bootable device ??
Last edited by DrHu on Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Installation & Boot”