Brand new to linux - need some help

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
cluelessguy

Brand new to linux - need some help

Post by cluelessguy »

Ok so I have a VAIO netbook that currently is setup with windows XP that I need to trash and want to get Linux mint running on it. How do I go about completely rebuilding my OS to get rid of everything that is on it now and put Linux Mint on it?

The netbook as it stands cannot connect to the internet 95% of the time and I have not been able to download anything on it due to an error I get (error 12015).
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
cluelessguy

Re: Brand new to linux - need some help

Post by cluelessguy »

From what I understand I need to burn the OS to a blank disc and then boot it from my netbook but then begs the question, how do I know which version I should do? Cinnamon, KDE, XFCE, etc.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

Without more info, this is just a guess. Since it is a netbook and has XP on it, it probably isn't new. I would recommend trying the Xfce version of Mint 14. When installing, if you select the option to use the entire disk, it will wipe out XP. From your post it sounds like that is what you wish to do.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
momist
Level 4
Level 4

Post by momist »

If you have problems with connecting to the internet, be sure to check the md5sum of your download before burning the iso to disk. You can get XP tools to do that.

Telling us some more details about the hardware, such as HD size, memory size and processor speed, will get some more guidance on which distro to use.
momist : a follower of the Greek god Momer.
cluelessguy

Post by cluelessguy »

Thanks guys. This netbook is my second computer so its not the only way that I have available to download the ISO. I also do not know all the specs on it as I just recently purchased it off craigslist. But here is what I do know (not sure how much of it you need so I will just give it all to you):

VAIO Netbook
Windows XP Home edition Service pack 2
Processor 1.10GHz
589 MHz
504 MB ram
32.2gb HD

I believe the person who sold it to me did not do a proper install of the OS which is why it is having problems. Error 12015 is an ftp error and cannot make FTP connections
momist
Level 4
Level 4

Post by momist »

OK, with ram that small I'd look at Puppy Linux rather than Mint. Sorry moderators!
I've just had a look and can't find the recommended minimum ram size. Maybe someone else will chime in with that.

Good luck.
momist : a follower of the Greek god Momer.
I2k4
Level 5
Level 5

Post by I2k4 »

You only have 500MB of RAM? I think you're likely to have trouble with any recent version of Mint. Try a PERSISTENT LIVE USB install as an experiment, with a 4GB USB drive set 2GB of "Persistence" - here is an installer you can run from XP:

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal- ... -as-1-2-3/

This will give you a good idea of how well the Mint version runs on that old netbook. It will of course run even better from the hard drive, but if it crawls like molasses on the USB drive you'll have trouble with a regular installation.

(Note that you have to set the BIOS - usually F2 key while booting - on the netbook to advance the USB drive in boot order ahead of the hard drive. That lets you boot the operating system on the USB thumb drive and experiment with it, without rubbing out everything on your hard drive.)
TRUST BUT VERIFY any advice from anybody, including me. Mint/Ubuntu user since 10.04 LTS. LM20 64 bit XFCE (Dell 1520). Dual boot LM20 XFCE / Win7 (Lenovo desktop and Acer netbook). Testing LM21.1 Cinnamon and XFCE Live for new Lenovo desktop.
cluelessguy

Post by cluelessguy »

Is there any older linux version I could use that would be better? All I need it to do is fricking connect to the internet and download a couple programs haha. Im only looking to linux as it a free alternative to purchasing XP or Win7 (which I highly doubt will work on it anyways) and it is more easily available.
Wiz Kid

Post by Wiz Kid »

http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/index.html
Maybe something like this may work out for you.
Run fully in RAM with as little as 128MB (you will be amazed at how fast your computer can be!)
TheDynamicHamza21
Level 5
Level 5

Post by TheDynamicHamza21 »

cluelessguy wrote:Thanks guys. This netbook is my second computer so its not the only way that I have available to download the ISO. I also do not know all the specs on it as I just recently purchased it off craigslist. But here is what I do know (not sure how much of it you need so I will just give it all to you):

VAIO Netbook
Windows XP Home edition Service pack 2
Processor 1.10GHz
589 MHz
504 MB ram
32.2gb HD

I believe the person who sold it to me did not do a proper install of the OS which is why it is having problems. Error 12015 is an ftp error and cannot make FTP connections
Try a distro with LXDE (only needs 256 ram) like PeppermintOS 3,PCLinuxOS LXDE or you can try install LM 12 LXDE and try an upgrade.
http://mylinuxexplore.blogspot.com/2012 ... reate.html

http://mygeekopinions.blogspot.com/2011 ... -xfce.html
Linux Registered User: # 573034

Hamza21.com
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

There are several Mint editions that work well with 512MB of RAM.

You could use Mint 12 LXDE, works well with 512MB of RAM but it's possible to improve that and you have the option to upgrade to Mint 13 with LXDE.

LMDE XFCE 201204 is also light and fast but not as much as Mint 12 LXDE. Installing LXDE over this edition is a good option.

Mint 13 XFCE and Mint 14 XFCE are slower than LMDE XFCE and Mint 12 LXDE but they should work OK on that computer.
I2k4
Level 5
Level 5

Post by I2k4 »

cluelessguy wrote:Is there any older linux version I could use that would be better? All I need it to do is fricking connect to the internet and download a couple programs haha. Im only looking to linux as it a free alternative to purchasing XP or Win7 (which I highly doubt will work on it anyways) and it is more easily available.
I'll repeat suggestion that you find some older versions of Ubuntu, e.g. 10.10 predates Unity which is quite resource demanding or Mint 11 (built on Ubuntu 10.10) which I like and TEST them on Persistent Live USB. It allows you see what works without commitment to your hard drive.

Doing that, you'll find Firefox will not update and should be uninstalled. Chrome and Chromium are still updating regularly, as is the Opera browser. I use the Synaptic package manager for them. All are free and fast browsers. Other software is "stuck" at non-updating versions so it's hit and miss what you can install.

About XP, I have it running lickety split on an old 866mhz Dell with 512mb of RAM. The secret is to fresh install from a simple XP only disk and avoid all manufacturer's add ons, then apply some basic "safe" tweaks from Black Viper windows support site. My XP installation "idles" at about 200mb of RAM. The nice thing about XP, apart from running software not available on Linux, is that it continues to update the operating system and supports the latest software.
TRUST BUT VERIFY any advice from anybody, including me. Mint/Ubuntu user since 10.04 LTS. LM20 64 bit XFCE (Dell 1520). Dual boot LM20 XFCE / Win7 (Lenovo desktop and Acer netbook). Testing LM21.1 Cinnamon and XFCE Live for new Lenovo desktop.
Essexraptor

Post by Essexraptor »

cluelessguy wrote:Is there any older linux version I could use that would be better? All I need it to do is fricking connect to the internet and download a couple programs haha. Im only looking to linux as it a free alternative to purchasing XP or Win7 (which I highly doubt will work on it anyways) and it is more easily available.

it's a netbook at the end of the day... let's be honest. If all you want to do is tote it about... email and DL bits and bobs occasionally just go the Puppy route.

LXDE & XFCE are gr8 for older low powered laptops but netbooks still struggle

Had the same with my Dell Mini 9 (which has way more RAM than yours, upgraded it myself) It huffed and puffed along with the lightweight distros but Pup suited best for what I was doing with it at the time. It's now gone to the "dark side"... but that's another story .....

Return to “Beginner Questions”