Secure GRUB with Mint Menu

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ble

Secure GRUB with Mint Menu

Post by ble »

I just decided to secure GRUB with the password. When I booted the machine it told me I couldn't have the gfxmenu if I also have a password. What's with that?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Fred

Re: Secure GRUB with Mint Menu

Post by Fred »

ble,

My question would be, why do you want to put a password on grub?

I would remind you that the only way to protect your system or data if one has physical access is with cryptography. If you give me an hour with your computer I will have your entire hard drive posted to the internet. Biometrics, passwords, etc. doesn't matter if it isn't encrypted. Most of that hour will be spent uploading and taking coffee breaks. It isn't that I am that good, it's that it is so easy to get around.

Fred
blevo
Level 2
Level 2

Post by blevo »

haha, thanks Fred.

The only reason I put the password in was because I recently read that article on the wiki and I was already messing around with Grub making sure my dual boot with Debian was kosher. Just thought it was weird you couldn't have both.
Fred

Post by Fred »

blevo,

The gfxgrub extension of grub still has a number of short comings. It is solid and stable, but doesn't support all the standard grub features yet.

If you are concerned about physical security, which all notebook users should be, I would suggest you look at "TrueCrypt." It is open source and peer reviewed. It is also being actively developed and maintained. It has matured nicely in the last year. There are several GUI front ends for it.

Fred

Return to “Installation & Boot”