Dual Boot on imac

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dark_zodiac13

Dual Boot on imac

Post by dark_zodiac13 »

i have a dual boot on my imac.mac os and windows i was trying to installed linux mint but i just cant i have try a lot of different ways just cant.
every time i installed linux i make room on the windows partition by shrinking the volume and get me some free space. everything installs fine i made the
swap area / the root /home after install cant boot up? what can i be doing wrong.by holding the option key on my imac i can see the mac os and the windows partition but when i click the windows i get a black screen saying no operating system found?
i notice on the mac os utilities i can see 4 extras partition? but cant boot up? anybody knows the cure for this problem?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
colorofjustice

Re: Dual Boot on imac

Post by colorofjustice »

I'm having a similiar issue as well. I think it has something to do with the grub though I'm not very familiar with this yet.
dark_zodiac13

Post by dark_zodiac13 »

Yea i hope some1 in this forum knows how to fix that
srs5694
Level 6
Level 6

Post by srs5694 »

First, adding an OS to a Mac after you've set up a dual-boot between Windows and OS X is very tricky because of Apple's ill-conceived hybrid MBR setup. If you're not careful, you can end up trashing your data. In particular, you should never, ever use Windows partitioning utilities to modify the partitions on your computer. It's not clear if you've been doing so, but if you have, I recommend you stop right now and repair whatever damage has been done before it bites you. That will, unfortunately, require a fair amount of expertise.

If you used an OS X or Linux utility to shrink your Windows partition, you've probably avoided that particular pitfall, but it's impossible to say what's going wrong without more technical details. The easiest way to get these is to run the Boot Info Script from a Linux emergency disc. This will produce a file called RESULTS.txt. Post it here, either between code tags or as a link.
dark_zodiac13

Post by dark_zodiac13 »

Well i guess you were
right something happen now i cant even boot up to mac OS. I guess i just gonna built my own rig and put 4 different HD so i can boot up all 3 Operating systems

Return to “Installation & Boot”