I am doing somthing wrong.

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Henning K

I am doing somthing wrong.

Post by Henning K »

Hey.
I want to have dual-boot on my Medion E1311. There is a HDD which I have made two partitions on. Win7 on partition 1 and Mint 13 on the second partition
I formatted first the two partitions with NTNF. After this was Win7 installed first. Unfortunately I do not get the opportunity to dual-boot - the PC starts up with Win7 every time. What have I done wrong?
TIA
Spuky
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
TheDynamicHamza21
Level 5
Level 5

Re: I am doing somthing wrong.

Post by TheDynamicHamza21 »

Henning K wrote:Hey.
I want to have dual-boot on my Medion E1311. There is a HDD which I have made two partitions on. Win7 on partition 1 and Mint 13 on the second partition
I formatted first the two partitions with NTNF. After this was Win7 installed first. Unfortunately I do not get the opportunity to dual-boot - the PC starts up with Win7 every time. What have I done wrong?
TIA
Spuky

I suppose you mean NTFS,therein lies your problem. The file system in Linux is different than Windows. It must be formatted in ext2,ext3, or ext 4. I recommend ext 4.

To install LM 13 I would suggest you use gparted on the the live dvd and delete the second partiton. Then let the installer use the free space to install "alongside Windows".

http://blog.isaacmedia.net/2012/06/dual ... d-windows/
Linux Registered User: # 573034

Hamza21.com
Henning K

Dual-boot - cant get it right!

Post by Henning K »

Hey.
I have a Medion E1311 laptop (32-bit) with a single HD. It is my desire to have Linux Mint 13 and Win7 installeret so I can make dual-boot.

I split HD into two partitions, which I formatted NTNF.
After that I installed Win7 first and then Linux Mint 11, I have not gotten dual-boot, since my laptop consistently booting with Win7.
Is there someone who can explain to me what I'm doing wrong?
TIA
Henning K
Last edited by xenopeek on Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Same subject; merged to this topic.
usbtux

Post by usbtux »

Presuming that windows is ok, as you are booting to it.
Did you install mint?
Or did you use wubi.
junior-s

Post by junior-s »

If you isntalled mint, this might help

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair
podagee

Post by podagee »

this is a look at my partitions.not everyone does the same,but,make a linux swap partition 2x the amount of ram installed and make the partition for linux ext4 upon installation.grub will be you new mbr and you should have dual boot after.using the NTFS format is mainly for windows partitions.hope this helps.
snapshot1.png
Henning K

Post by Henning K »

HI,

Thanks for your help in getting dual boot to work for me. It was a larger work to prepare the HDD correctly, but you had warned me!

Regards
Henning K

Return to “Beginner Questions”