Still use floppy disks

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
BigSteve_G

Still use floppy disks

Post by BigSteve_G »

I was just woundering.

On their day-to-day systems (no custom built NAS, firewalls, automated systems & things like that) does anyone still use floppy disks?

I just woundered as I've noticed a few posts on here regarding mounting floppy disks & it made me realise that even though I have a floppy drive in my system its been disconnected for probably about 9 years (& not used for 10)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Still use floppy disks

Post by xenopeek »

Ah, sweet nostalgia :mrgreen: I used to have a ton of floppy disks, but indeed it must have been 10 years ago if not more that I last used one. I don't have any floppy disks or disk drives now. Even my CD/DVD drive will not be needed soon I think; I only use it from time to time when I have some music on CD. But once classical music is more readily available for digital purchase, I won't need the CD/DVD drive. Everything else goes on USB thumb drives or mostly online storage these days. How times have changed...
BigSteve_G

Post by BigSteve_G »

Talking of CD/DVD - just realised, I cant remember the last time I played a music CD - just mp3's all time now-a-days
HugeCamel

Post by HugeCamel »

Floppy disks might be dying but they've got a niche . . . In aviation for example, floppy disks are still used to update the flight management system databases on older aircraft. These aircraft will probably still be flying and requiring monthly updates for another 10yrs.
SilverNexus

Post by SilverNexus »

We're going through our collection of floppy disks and rescuing the data from the degrading magnetic disks. It makes me sad to think that the old disks are just wearing out.
I used floppy disks into the mid-2000's, and still have a 3 1/2 floppy drive in my computer. I even used it recently to try to install MS-DOS 5 in a virtual machine.
I'd say one of the biggest problems with floppies is that files have outgrown them. About the only thing that fits on floppies anymore are documents and text files. Anything remotely fancy will take dozens of floppies, if its even possible. Half the time CDs aren't even enough space.
Maybe I'm just old school, but I'm not complaining, especially not with the marvelous tick-tick-tick of the AT keyboard I am using (with an adapter).
monkeyboy

Post by monkeyboy »

They make nice rifle targets. :)
Pikachu6708

Post by Pikachu6708 »

Ditched floppies for optical media and flash drives years ago.
AnonKS

Post by AnonKS »

I still keep floppies around for solar eclipses. Break one open and you can use the film to protect your eyes while watching an eclipse. Granted its rare.

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D X515m using Tapatalk 2
Pikachu6708

Post by Pikachu6708 »

I quit using floppies for data storage years ago, but I made hanging ceiling art outta my old floppies by chaining them together with string.
BigSteve_G

Post by BigSteve_G »

They still come in handy for propping under a door when your re-securing it to the door frame.

Although I am tempted to give this a try http://www.likecool.com/Floppy_Disk_USB_Flash_Drive--DIY--Gear.html
AllisonO

Post by AllisonO »

I think the only way people use floppy disks today is for fun as a sort of a nostalgia about the good old times. Or to make music like in this video where they make [url=http://mp3pole.com/video/yHJOz_y9rZE/Floppy-music-DUO-Imperial-march]floppy disk music[/url] :D .
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

MazendaLee wrote:I have some floppy disks
You have some what?

:mrgreen:
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Crewp

Post by Crewp »

Got rid of all my floppy disks, 3 1/2 and my 5 1/4 wish I kept some for old times sake. 8)
bigj231

Post by bigj231 »

I certainly don't miss pulling three 5 1/4 floppies out of one drive because someone thought inserting the next disk didn't require removing the previous one. I do miss them though. I used to be able to get one to fly through 2 doorways from one end of the house to the other (and those AOL CDs).
In fact, the only time I've used even an optical disk on any of my own systems was making the Windows backup disks before I formatted the hard drive and installed Mint. (because the manufacturers are too tight to ship them. :x )
A New Linux User

Post by A New Linux User »

I also stopped using FDDs a long time ago. :roll: Floppy-disks are practically obsolete, unless you're doing some fiddly bootup stuff. I remember having those floppy-disks that were actually floppy! Good times. My computer doesn't even have an FDD. :) I remember, way back in the day, when I used to take a load of floppy-disks to school, wait until I could get to the library computers, then frantically download as many games or softwares as I could! xD
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

I have a whole collection including old data and dos games (almost all being 1440kb 3.5" disks + some apps on 5.25" floppies..)
--but they are somewaht awkward to work with on Linux
  • I usually end up using dosemu
    --to make use of diskettes
If I really needed it(a diskette read/write/use) to function all the time, I would look into diskette operations under Linux more completely to get disk access and release (umount(s)) more realiably done/easier to use..
--unfortunately, even though some of the data is still useful to me, I haven't gotten arround to reading all that disktette(s) data into my system: I'm probably just too lazy to bother

There used to be a floppy/diskette based NAS system, but I don't think it is around or usdeful any longer: probably gone to a usb drive or CD
http://www.serverelements.com/?target=Products
--that was the one i was thinking about.

Return to “Open Chat”