(SOLVED) No Maya startup sound

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
riki
Level 4
Level 4

Re: No Maya startup sound

Post by riki »

Mik3e wrote:For your information, I had a login sound with my original '13' install, but it disappeared for some reason. Here's what worked for me to get it back:

1. In a terminal I ran 'play /usr/share/sounds/linuxmint-login.wav' and got the appropriate sound.
2. I checked Startup Applications and there was no entry for 'startup sound', so I created one with the above command.
3. I rebooted and got the startup sound.

It was that simple, but I haven't had it working long enough to have confidence it won't disappear again. One theory I'll check out if it does disappear again is that un-checking 'startup sound' has the effect of removing it rather than only disabling it.
Thanks for coming in Mik3e. I've done what worked for you a num,ber of times but unfortunately it doesn't work for me. The command works with the terminal (I get the sound) and the correct entry checked in Startup Applications but still total silence on reboot.
riki
Level 4
Level 4

Re: No Maya startup sound

Post by riki »

Would you believe it. I got sound! All I have done is re-entering the command in Startup Applications instead of, as previously, browsing for the wav file and adding it from Sounds and bingo job done. Obviously the path via the file system (usr>share>sounds) doesn't work. Thanks a million Mik.
riki
Level 4
Level 4

Re: (SOLVED) No Maya startup sound

Post by riki »

@mik3e

Does your logout sound work? I've tried unsuccessfully with the command "play /usr/share/sounds/linuxmint-logout.wav"
Mik3e
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Mik3e »

The sound works but I don't have a 'Shutdown Applications' tool to store and run shutdown applications.
danellisuk

Post by danellisuk »

[ANOTHER SOLUTION]
I also had the issue where there was no "system ready" or "login" sound, but sound would be fine once logged in. This was with a fresh install of Linux Mint 13 MATE edition (64bit). It turns out to be because I have a USB sound card (an external Lexicon Omega).

The reason it works once logged in is because PulseAudio was selecting the correct sound card (the only one available). But the login screen (mdm) is running as root and is not configured to use PulseAudio. It is therefor trying to play the audio directly using ALSA.

When I tried to play a wav directly using ALSA, using the aplay command as root, I received the following error:-

Code: Select all

ALSA lib confmisc.c:768:(parse_card) cannot find card '0'
ALSA lib conf.c:4241:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_card_driver returned error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib confmisc.c:392:(snd_func_concat) error evaluating strings
ALSA lib conf.c:4241:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_concat returned error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib confmisc.c:1251:(snd_func_refer) error evaluating name
ALSA lib conf.c:4241:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_refer returned error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib conf.c:4720:(snd_config_expand) Evaluate error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib pcm.c:2217:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM default
play FAIL formats: can't open output file `default': snd_pcm_open error: No such file or directory
So then I listed the audio devices:

$ aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 1: Omega [Lexicon Omega], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: Omega [Lexicon Omega], device 1: USB Audio [USB Audio #1]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
Here you can see the soundcard is card 1. There is no card 0.

To fix this I edited /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf and changed the line:-

options snd-usb-audio index=-2
to

options snd-usb-audio index=0
Also note that my system had this line twice for some reason, so I just commented out the one at the end of the file. Finally rebooted and it all worked.
northcamel

Post by northcamel »

Return to “Software & Applications”