Linux mint 14 Nadia Mate and Compiz cube etc

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
PeDr0

Linux mint 14 Nadia Mate and Compiz cube etc

Post by PeDr0 »

I'm having problems with setting up compiz effects like the cube.. fire etc. I have the number of desktops set to 4 in the Desktop size under general options. I also have a Workspace switcher added to my taskbar. If I press ctr+alt and move the mouse to switch workspaces I Just get a sort of 2D plane that rotates in 3D but I don't get a 3D Cube. I don't think water effects are working and fire effects aren't working. If I switch to another workspace and open a window it just switches me back to my first workspace and dumps it there infront of all my other windows and it seems as if it is not working correctly. I get wobbly windows but that is about all that is working properly.

Also when I click on windows in control centre I get the error message: Cannot start the preferences application for your windows manager. Windows manager "compiz" has not registerd a configuration tool.

There doesn't seem to be anywehre to set transparent windows either, on older versions of gnome and Compiz you could have more effects I'm sure.

I have followed the following links:http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/1148 and http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/919 The only problem I have is on the first link where it says"Then press ALT + F2 and run: "dconf-editor", navigate to org > gnome > desktop > vm > preferences and change the "theme" value from "Adwaita" to any other installed theme you want. "

When I press ALT+F2 nothing seem to happen and when I run dconf-editor I don't get anything under the org tree at all so I can't change the value.

Also when I change the windows decoration under apperance preferances nothing happens and I appear stuck with the stock Mint OS brushed aluminium look and Icons.

I am running a SOny Vaio laptop (VGN-AR51M) with a Nvidia Geforce 8400M GT GPU
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
PeDr0

Re: Linux mint 14 Nadia Mate and Compiz cube etc

Post by PeDr0 »

Does Compiz and emearld etc run better in linux mint 13 (Maya)?
w201

Post by w201 »

make sure you also enable rotate cube
PeDr0

Post by PeDr0 »

w201 wrote:make sure you also enable rotate cube
Rotate cube is enabled. Switching between desktops is broken. Switching with mouse or keyboard shortcuts only flips the screen (Not cube animation) and does not change location on workspace switcher. Clicking manualy on workspace switcher does not flip screen. All new open windows open on workspace 1.
qwizzer

Post by qwizzer »

firstly install CCSM

then:
you havent set your desktops in CCSM "general options" properly.
four desktops - set the other options to 1.
PeDr0

Post by PeDr0 »

qwizzer wrote:firstly install CCSM

then:
you havent set your desktops in CCSM "general options" properly.
four desktops - set the other options to 1.

You mean Compiz Configuration Settings Manager? Allready installed. Have now changed it to settings above. Still broken. Infact now it won't even switch with keyboard shortcuts or manually with the mouse (By pressing ctrl+alt+left click+mouse movent). Only by clicking on the workspace switcher does it appear that I switch workspaces (ALthough I'm not sure I do as I get no animation). And still all windows open in workspace 1.
Detonate

Post by Detonate »

I also had a problem with the workspace switcher, but it disappeared when I changed the Desktop Size under General Options from 2 horizontal rows and 2 vertical rows to 4 horizontal and 1 vertical. My cube works fine and I don't have any of the special effects set.
PeDr0

Post by PeDr0 »

Detonate wrote:I also had a problem with the workspace switcher, but it disappeared when I changed the Desktop Size under General Options from 2 horizontal rows and 2 vertical rows to 4 horizontal and 1 vertical. My cube works fine and I don't have any of the special effects set.
It now looks slightly better i.e I get a sort of cube.. but ultimately workspaces still are not switching and the 3D windows effect is in overdrive, sending windows far into the foreground left and right on both sides and doesn't look right.. This is not Like I have had compiz running before. Special effects like fire/water etc still aren't working. Now when I run the cube I am getting like weid trace effects that don't look right. The whole thing feels kind of broken. Does compiz work better on LM13?
Detonate

Post by Detonate »

Cube2.png
My cube screenshot. I never had Mint 13 so I can't comment on that. I'm using Mint 14 Mate.
PeDr0

Post by PeDr0 »

Detonate wrote:
Cube2.png
My cube screenshot. I never had Mint 13 so I can't comment on that. I'm using Mint 14 Mate.
I can get a reasonable looking cube if I turn off 3D windows in effects, but still no special effects.. workspaces aren't switching.. feels kind of broken to me.

P.S. How do you take a screenshot in Linux..? :-)
Detonate

Post by Detonate »

The screenshot program is in Accessories in the Menu. I put a launcher on my panel for it. To get a picture of the cube, you have to use the delay feature, then activate the cube and wait for the delay to run out while holding the cube still.
qwizzer

Post by qwizzer »

well firstly stop trying to get everything going at once, turn off the special effects till you get your desktops working.
i assume you have the rotate cube plugin on.
PeDr0

Post by PeDr0 »

I have now installed Linux Mate 13 Maya and following this link http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/919 I have got compiz to work O.K. cube + effects everything seems to work as it should. :-) I think the compiz+mate combo in linux mint 14 is not working correctly. Anyway with a little research I feel happier running a distro based on Ubuntu 12.04 rather than 12.10 anyway.

The only thing that doesn't quite work properly is the workspace switcher panel. I mean I can get it to work by changing the preferences to 1 workspace on the switcher panel, as instructed in this link: http://forums.mate-desktop.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=340 but as soon as I restart it loses its way again. I guess I will just have to wait for Mate and Compiz to work that one out? Anyone know how I would go about reporting this bug and to whom? Perhaps there is some way of automatically switching the number of workspaces to 1 on re-boot. (However it should be 4 really) Hmmmmmmmm........
PeDr0

Post by PeDr0 »

O.K. pretty much solved

Run compiz fusion Icon, selcet mate as the window manager, then in terminal:

Code: Select all

mateconftool-2 --set /apps/marco/general/num_workspaces --type int 4
Then restart compiz using compiz fusion icon.. then.. (see this posthttp://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 9&t=114840)
Then, in CCSM > General Options > "Desktop Size" tab, make sure you have Horizontal Virtual Size = 4, Vertical Virtual Size = 1, and Number of desktops = 1.
That's how you get 4 workspaces horizontally, exactly like in MATE, but in Compiz.
Works still on reboot..

Then everything works nicely..cube effects.. workspace switching all good. Only problem is when you hover your mouse over the workspace switcher they all say currnet workspace: "Workspace 1"

Have to live with it for now I guess? Any Ideas how I can get in touch with Devs to work on this bug?

Return to “Beginner Questions”