sudo not working after wine install and uninstall

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
spmintlin

sudo not working after wine install and uninstall

Post by spmintlin »

Hi

I messed up my recent installation of mint 14, after trying to install wine/msoffice. during wine installation some programs were removed, I forgot to record those, but surely one or more of the following

alien
debhelper
gettext
intltool-debian
lsb-core
po-debconf
mate-common
gtk-doc-tools
gnome-common
intltool

After a frustrating experience with wine/msoffice, I decided to uninstall wine and msoffice. Now when I type sudo for any thing say "sudo apt-get install update", I get the following

oo-oo@oooo ~ $ sudo apt-get install update
[sudo] password for oo-oo:
This process is currently running setuid or setgid.
GTK+ does not allow this therefore Qt cannot use the GTK+ integration.
Try launching your app using 'gksudo', 'kdesudo' or a similar tool.
See http://www.gtk.org/setuid.html for more information.

I would very much appreciate any suggestions to overcome this. Alternatively, is there a way to restore Linux Mint to its default installation.

cheers
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: sudo not working after wine install and uninstall

Post by xenopeek »

That sounds like time to reinstall to me :( You can check (if the command still works) which packages were removed in the past:

Code: Select all

grep " remove " /var/log/dpkg.log
You'll find those packages probably still in /var/cache/apt/archives/. Then reboot and during boot hold down the left shift key to get the GRUB boot menu to show. Pick to run recovery mode, and there select to run a root console. After logging in with root's password (=the same as the password you set for the user created during installation of Linux Mint) you may be able to install those packages anew. You won't need sudo, but from the packages missing I'm doubting if even dpkg will work. To install a package <somename.deb> do:

cd /var/cache/apt/archives/
dpkg -i somename.deb
If it complains about reda only filesystem, first do:

mount -o remount,rw /
In short, this sounds like a lot of work and you may not get back to a fully stable install...
Last edited by xenopeek on Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Corrected the first command, it had copied & pasted the wrong one :/
spmintlin

Post by spmintlin »

hi xenopeek

Thanks for the rapid response, I will give it a try and get back to you.

reinstallation!...not again, But will have to if doesnt work

cheers
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Heads up; I had a mistake in the first command...
spmintlin

Solved Re: sudo not working after wine install and uninstall

Post by spmintlin »

Hi

Thanks for the response. I actually solved the problem. The issue was not with the wine/office install uninstall. The actual problem was with the fingerprint GUI. Apparently the finger print scan had something to do with overiding .root permission etc. I uninstalled fingerprint GUI and now it works fine.

Hope this will be useful for other as well.

cheers

Return to “Beginner Questions”