Sharing files and folders Mint 14 xfce

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rmcellig
Level 4
Level 4

Sharing files and folders Mint 14 xfce

Post by rmcellig »

I remember in Ubuntu right clicking on a folder and easily sharing it. I don't seem to be able to do this after I downloaded Mint 14 xfce. I want to be able to share files and folders over my LAN between my iMac, PC running XP Pro and a couple of Linux machines. What do I need to do to get this running so that I can just right click on any folder to share it.

Thanks!!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Take care,

Randy
www.mcran.com - my web site
www.chuo.fm - My radio show every Sunday from noon-2pm or 89.1 fM
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Sharing files and folders Mint 14 xfce

Post by altair4 »

Long Answer and Rant:

Once upon a time in a land far far away there used to be a package labeled thunar-shares-plugin. That was the XFCE counterpart to nautilus-shares that allowed you to create a Samba Usershare directly from the File Manager in exactly the same way you could do it in Windows. Something happened along the way and it broke. Fixing it has apparently become an insurmountable task - greater than the rewrite of Samba - as big as creating the Linux Kernel from scratch. It's not going to happen.

Short Answer:

Thunar does not have that capability

You do have some options though:

[1] With a little bit of work you can recreate the capability:

Create Samba Shares Directly from Thunar: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=197&t=88255

The method above will create real Samba Usershares.

[2] You can do the sneaky thing that MATE does since they apparently have no idea how to translate nautilus-shares to caja:

** Install the following package:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install gnome-system-tools
** Open Thunar > Edit > Configure Custom Actions > Add:

Name: Samba Classic
Command: shares-admin -a %f
Appearance Conditions: Select only Directories

This method does not create a Samba Usershare as Nautilus / Nemo does. It creates a Samba Classic share which means that every time you create one there's a restart of the samba process resulting in a delay in seeing if it actually works. Ironically it's also less flexible than the nautilus method since you can only create a guest accessible share but it does not automatically change permissions to actually allow a guest write the way the nautilus method does. It also requires a sudo password unlike the nautilus method. It's kind of sad really.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

Return to “Beginner Questions”