Welcome to Linux Mint dialog freezing.

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
russellz
Level 3
Level 3

Welcome to Linux Mint dialog freezing.

Post by russellz »

Not a problem for me but I think this might be a bug:

When booting up and the Welcome dialog appears, if I click on one of the buttons that launches Firefox the dialog stays in the forground and neither that nor Firefox will close except by using xkill from a terminal.

If I open Firefox before clicking the button it works fine.

Is it a bug or have I screwed something up?

Russell
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Laptop: HP17bs086nf, Intel Core i5-7200U, Intel HD Graphics 620 . Mint Cinnamon 21.1
Desktop: ASUS Prime B760-plus D4 motherboard, AMD Radeon RX6500XT, Intel 12th gen i7 12 core 3500MHz, 8GB ram, 500GB Samsung SSD, Mint Cinnamon 21.1
ar3700
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Welcome to Linux Mint dialog freezing.

Post by ar3700 »

I have loaded Linux Mint 14 (Mate) on 3 different computers and on all 3 computers I have the same problem. If I click on any of the links on the Welcome Screen window, the Welcome Screen window stays in the foreground and will not ever go away. I'm not smart enough to know how to kill it (yet) so I end up having to reboot the computer.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

The Welcome Screen was written at the time of GNOME 2, and indeed is showing its age. The os.system call it makes to launch xdg-open (which in turn launches the default web browser) is a blocking call. Meaning it will turn the Welcome Screen unresponsive till you close the web browser. And closing that would generally also close the Welcome Screen. I'm sure there are other "quirks", but this is the one I confirmed from a quick look in the Python file. So while not strictly a bug, the Welcome Screen could do with an overhaul.
russellz
Level 3
Level 3

Post by russellz »

Trouble is you can't close Firefox either.

Russell
Laptop: HP17bs086nf, Intel Core i5-7200U, Intel HD Graphics 620 . Mint Cinnamon 21.1
Desktop: ASUS Prime B760-plus D4 motherboard, AMD Radeon RX6500XT, Intel 12th gen i7 12 core 3500MHz, 8GB ram, 500GB Samsung SSD, Mint Cinnamon 21.1
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Well, I could. But like I said, their are probably more "quirks" and it could do with an overhaul...
qonfushus

Post by qonfushus »

Has this been sorted yet?

The impending death of Win XP, meant that I took the plunge and installed Linux Mint 13 (Maya) 64-bit Mate on my desktop to see if I liked it enough to not bother upgrading to a newer Windows. My system is fairly old - socket AM3 motherboard (Biostar A770E3), AMD Athlon II X2 240 Processor (2.8 GHz), 4GB RAM (DIMM DDR3), Seagate 500 GB hardrive (ST3500320AS), ATI Radeon HD 5750 graphics card (1GB).

But, so far, LInux is working very well and seems much quicker than Win XP.

I found I had to install numlockx to get the numlock enabled on login/boot and fiddled with Storage Device Manager to get access to data partitions...and now trying to sort this problem. Not sure yet if i'll stick with this Linux version or Linux at all. So far, I seem to be constantly fiddling to get it working.

Turning back to this issue - if Firefox is already active, then when the Welcome screen is activated, the Welcom screen can be closed. But if Firefox is not already active and you press a button on the Welcome screen that activates Firefox, then I can only get rid of the Welcome screen by closing the Firefox window which defeats the purpose!

I've eventually killed the Welcome screen from the System Monitor (which I now have on the Panel so I can activate it quickly). But this is still a bit of a chore as the window is not easily visible behind the unresponsive Welcome screen. Same would apply to opening a Termninal and typing a Kill command (also I'd be worried that I'd kill something else accidentally).

Thanks for any help. I see the last post on this was Jan 2013. It's now Feb 2014 so hopefully there is a solution?

Return to “Beginner Questions”