Slideshow may kill your installation script and work-around

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MartinRF
Level 1
Level 1

Slideshow may kill your installation script and work-around

Post by MartinRF »

Hello all,

I have been away from Mint for some considerable time but I am back now and on the mission to find a Linux flavour for upgrading a relative's dated Ubuntu system. Mint seems like a good choice so I am trying out 14.1 on my secondary computer. I had great problems installing and even though I found the remedy in this forum it took me some time and quite a bit of digging so I thought a post dedicated to this particular problem and the work-around I found might bee a good idea.

Symptom:
Live session works just fine and to begin with the install procedure works as expected. When the actuall install starts the install sctript UI starts to show a slide show. On shifting to the second slide it dies and so does the install process. The mouse pointer remains in its work-in-progress guise -- forever.

Remedy:
After quite a bit of research I found reports of the slide show being corrupt and removing it in the live session before starting to install is the way to go:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get remove ubiquity-slideshow-mint
Bonus material:
Before figuring this out I dug out an 'old' Mind 12 LXDE disk and that installed just fine. I also picked up what had been installed of 14.1 and I could actually start 14.1 but it was impossible to login. Some more digging from within 12 showed me a 14.1 without any users defined...

I hope this helps.

/Martin
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Slideshow may kill your installation script and work-aro

Post by xenopeek »

I didn't run into this when I installed Linux Mint 14.1 this week, but I have seen a few posters with similar sounding problems. So thanks for writing this up, great summary :D Stickied.
Querier
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Querier »

MartinRF wrote: Remedy:
After quite a bit of research I found reports of the slide show being corrupt and removing it in the live session before starting to install is the way to go:

I hope this helps.
/Martin
Thank you very much, that works. I had the same problem of the Nadia 32-bit install process hanging up when the slide show started and then disappeared, even though the MD5sum of the downloaded ISO was correct. I wonder if only some mirrors have a corrupt version, as not everyone is complaining, or if it could be something in the slide show coding that only conflicts with certain systems.
craighoog

Post by craighoog »

Hello there,

I would just like to report that this only works when connected to the internet.
If you want to install Mint 14 without the internet, this command does not work and it still hangs after "installation" before writing grub or creating the user accounts.

The only way I was able to bypass this was letting the installation get as far as it was willing to go.
At this point I open a terminal, mnt the newly installed Mint partition and chroot to the mount.
From here I installed grub and did a grub-update to fix this issue.

After this, while still in the mounted partition, I used useradd with the "-m" flag (important) to create my user account with a home directory.
Without the -m flag the user doesn't have permissions to it's own directory and the account will not work for logging in.

Then I forcefully rebooted the computer (I'm sure there was an alternative) and booted into grub -> Linux Mint and logged in.

Hope this helps and maybe the internet issue can be confirmed and added to the sticky.
LeChene

Post by LeChene »

I,m new to this so sorry if I dont follow the rules correctly.

I have the same problem with installation of mint 14/14.1.

On an old computer that originally was running Mate 13 I tried to move to Mate 14.1 but is failing as described in this post.
Also XFCE 14 RC has the same problem.
I managed once to get KDE 14 RC installed but most of the time it fails.

With Mate 13 no problems I tried it to be sure.

I hope this helps for the development team to improve next release.

I will try the suggestions made here to see if it help.

Regards,

Edr
Querier
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Querier »

LeChene wrote: I have the same problem with installation of mint 14/14.1.
On an old computer that originally was running Mate 13 I tried to move to Mate 14.1 but is failing as described in this post.
Also XFCE 14 RC has the same problem. With Mate 13 no problems I tried it to be sure.
Regards,
Edr
Is your graphics card one of the older NVIDIA GeForce series? Myself and others having this 32-bit Nadia installation problem have commented that they have these cards, so I'm wondering if this problem occurs only with them.

If you are unclear about the install work-around, do these steps:
boot the Mint 14 Nadia Live CD (make sure it can access the Internet),
then start the Terminal with the icon at bottom left,
then type in this command line: sudo apt-get remove ubiquity-slideshow-mint
hit ENTER, wait for the updating to finish, then exit Terminal,
click on the Mint Install icon near top left, and it will run without the slide show.

It takes a good while to complete because it also downloads a bunch of updates.
Nectho//DroP

Post by Nectho//DroP »

This also happens with Linux Mint 13. But there it stops when it begins "Restoring packages" or something(at the ending of the installation)(and only if you go to the second screen manually).
MartinRF
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MartinRF »

MREOTimes wrote:
LeChene wrote: I have the same problem with installation of mint 14/14.1.
Also XFCE 14 RC has the same problem. With Mate 13 no problems I tried it to be sure.
Regards,
Edr
Is your graphics card one of the older NVIDIA GeForce series? Myself and others having this 32-bit Nadia installation problem have commented that they have these cards, so I'm wondering if this problem occurs only with them.
My old box has an elderly NVIDIA GeForce graphics card...

/Martin
SilverNexus

Post by SilverNexus »

MartinRF wrote:After quite a bit of research I found reports of the slide show being corrupt and removing it in the live session before starting to install is the way to go:

Thanks to this, I was able to dump my aging Ubuntu 10.10 and upgrade to a new OS without too much hassle and without the Unity interface. I would have been pretty stuck otherwise; I had removed Ubuntu by the time I encountered this problem. My first thought was that the iso had been corrupted in the download and downloaded it a second time. Then I found this, saying exactly what to do. So, I tried this and it worked perfectly.
MREOTimes wrote:Is your graphics card one of the older NVIDIA GeForce series? Myself and others having this 32-bit Nadia installation problem have commented that they have these cards, so I'm wondering if this problem occurs only with them.
As a matter of fact, my video card is an NVIDEA GeForce 6200. And yes, my computer is 32-bit.
MartinaNeumayer

Post by MartinaNeumayer »

Thnx for the trick!
Works, works works! :D
My Mint 14 Mate + Nvidia FX 5200 = installation f***p.
Now with this sollution works great.
jaydubb71

Post by jaydubb71 »

That worked! Thanks!
gold_finger

Post by gold_finger »

Thanks for posting this - had same problem trying to install LinuxMint Xfce 14 on older Athlon desktop with older Nvidia card. Had no problem on newer laptop, so was going crazy trying to figure out problem. After removing the slideshow everything was fine.

Been using Ubuntu 10.04 for few years on main desktop and laptop, have Mint Mate 13 on htpc and now Mint 14 Xfce on spare old computer. Absolutely hate Ubuntu's Unity, so looking for better replacement for main computers - leaning toward Xfce desktop.
Laxa

Post by Laxa »

Thank you soooo much!!
I have been going crazy trying to install mint 14!

BTW I have a amd 9600pro gpu, so its not nvidia only
hyrieus

Post by hyrieus »

Thankyou very much for such a good post, I have an older ATI Radeon 9500pro that I flashed back in the day to a 9700pro....it was a trick mod at the time. This worked flawlessly, I got nothing but hanging numerous times before I removed the "slideshow". :D
hal8000
Level 4
Level 4

Post by hal8000 »

For Linux Mint 14 KDE disable slideshow with:

sudo apt-get remove ubiquity-slideshow-mint-kde

(Identical apart from -kde suffix).
schmidty169

Post by schmidty169 »

Thank you so much. I was pulling my hair out trying to get this installed to only fail when the slideshow came up. I am happily running mint mate installed on this old GX150!!!! Breathing some life into the old box.
MikeF90000

Post by MikeF90000 »

I wonder if Upstream has bothered to fix this bug. So far I can't find a fix in launchpad.

I just encountered this bug due to a hardware change - moved from an old SiS based video card to an (old) Nvidia GeForce2 card thinking driver support would be better. Yes, this computer is an oldie but a goodie - MSI m/b with AMD Socket A Athlon and 512MB. But I digress ....

Ubuntu 12.04 was running fine so I decided to upgrade to LM13 and WHAMMO install hung. Fortunately I found this and other threads for the workaround.

Now to the slightly off topic horror story. The new 17" LCD monitor was not detected properly and resolution maxed out at 1024 x 768, not the native display resolution of 1280 x 1024. The analog only video board connection may have been a factor. None of the tricks found worked to force a working XOrg configuration. Replacing nouveau with nvidia proprietary drivers made things worse. Finally reinstalling nouveau, some of xserver-xorg-* packages and finally sudo dpkg-reconfigure mdm seemed to do the trick. Whew.
jcxz100

Post by jcxz100 »

Almost 2 years later, and the slideshow problem still present for Linux Mint 17 Qiana...
The solution was to remove the slideshow before installing:
MartinRF wrote:

My system: An anno 2002 HP Pavilion ze4518ae with AMD Athlon CPU
lspci says I have this graphics card:
VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] RS100 [Radeon IGP 320M]

Over the last weeks I have tried both Cinnamon, Mate and XFCE in 32-bit versions without success. I tried the Compatibility Mode and various manually entered options (like nomodeset). But the results were unvariably the same:
After displaying a bunch of slides (no problem switching between them), first the slideshow would disappear, and shortly thereafter the Install application itself would vanish - no error dialog, no explanation whatsoever, and the mouse cursor would still be in busy mode.
I could then poke about, use Disks and GParted to no avail: The system would not be in a bootable state - even if I manually set the Active (a.k.a. Boot) bit for the partition and altered the mount point to "/".
I even tried installing FreeDos first and placing the GRUB loader on that same FAT16 partition, which I had just seen work. But the computer would refuse to even write a "system not found" style message, I just got a black screen.
I even did try forcing the Update Manager to run on the live CD before install... but that didn't go well, as I have only 768 MB RAM in and it ran out of space in the end!
And I have attempted other things that were so stupid, I will mention them no further ;-)

Anyway: Thanks go to LLH5 and to the poster of this thread: MartinRF - that was my Mint machine #2!
schmidty169

Post by schmidty169 »

For the second time Thank you for this post. I first ran into this issue installing Linux Mint 15 Mate. I once again run into this time installing Linux Mint 17 Xfce. :D
decimal1969
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Slideshow may kill your installation script and work-around

Post by decimal1969 »

This problem happened for me installing 32-bit Linux Mint 17.3 and this solution worked. Thanks so much!

Return to “Installation & Boot”