NFS share detection in Cinnamon

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
punkrockguy318

NFS share detection in Cinnamon

Post by punkrockguy318 »

Hey there,

I just talked my girlfriend into wiping Windows 8 on her laptop and replacing it with Linux Mint 14 64 bit (FTW!). Everything installed without a hitch and her laptop seems to run a lot more smoothly now. However, I'm having an issue that my NFS shares from my Arch Linux NFS4 server are not showing up in the "Network" item in the Natuilus file browser. I installed "nfs-common" with apt-get, and I'm able to mount the shares using "mount". In fact, I can even autocomplete the shares by typing "mount servername:<TAB>". I was somewhat surprised that Nautilus wasn't discovering my NFS4 shares. Is there something else that I need to install or configure in order for my NFS shares to be detected by Nautilus? It would be nice to be able to share media and files through NFS without having to use the command line. I vaguely remember older versions of Debian/GNOME having this functionality.

Am I missing something? It seems strange the windows SMB shares are showing up but NFS shares are not. Do I need to add her user to a group in order to discover / mount NFS shares or something?

Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DrHu

Re: NFS share detection in Cinnamon

Post by DrHu »

punkrockguy318 wrote:I'm having an issue that my NFS shares from my Arch Linux NFS4 server are not showing up in the "Network" item in the Natuilus file browser
NFS is not browsable, you need the mount point (exported share name), or just add it to your
/etc/fstab..

If it is mounted at /mnt/.. you should be able to see it..
--the standard mount point for Linux
  • you may also be able to use it under /media, but /mnt could be the best option, as a standard choice..
OK, found this info
http://www.ubuntugeek.com/mount-network ... buntu.html
punkrockguy318

Post by punkrockguy318 »

DrHu wrote:
punkrockguy318 wrote:I'm having an issue that my NFS shares from my Arch Linux NFS4 server are not showing up in the "Network" item in the Natuilus file browser
NFS is not browsable, you need the mount point (exported share name), or just add it to your
/etc/fstab..

If it is mounted at /mnt/.. you should be able to see it..
--the standard mount point for Linux
  • you may also be able to use it under /media, but /mnt could be the best option, as a standard choice..
OK, found this info
http://www.ubuntugeek.com/mount-network ... buntu.html
Thanks. I could have sworn you used to be able to browse NFS shares in GNOME2 but I could absolutely be mistaken. Much appreciated!
garolou

Post by garolou »

From Nautilus or Nemo, do File/Connect to Server and enter the ip of your server and choose SSH from the dropbox. Test it out, if it works create a bookmark. You will be able to browse your files almost as if it was on your drive. However if you need to access these remote files via another application the remote mount points are not always available. I choose SSHFS over NFS because it allows remote symlinks to work properly. Another compelling advantage to SSHFS is there is no need to do anything on the server side. Which is great if you have limited rights to the server. In combination with autofs my remote files don't seem so remote anymore.

Return to “Software & Applications”