"could not find the program firefox.desktop"

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Raimy

"could not find the program firefox.desktop"

Post by Raimy »

Not sure if this is a newbie question or not but since I am a Linux Mint newbie I'm going with it. Idid search the forum and Google first but couldn't come up with anything.

I keep links to sites organized in folders on my desktop but when I go into a folder (Dolphin) and click the link I get the message - "could not find the program firefox.desktop". If I right click and select open with firefox it opens. I looked in /usr/share/applications and there is a firefox.desktop there so I'm not sure what the problem is. I've never run across this problem before and it's driving me buggy.

Anyone know how I can get my links to open normally again?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jungle_boy
Level 7
Level 7

Re: "could not find the program firefox.desktop"

Post by jungle_boy »

It is a # 283475 KDE Dolphin bug.

You can create a link within Desktop widget

Right click within Desktop Widget>Create New>Link to location (URL)

File Name

Location (URL)

OK

Works fine.
Samsung Odyssey, Octa-core, i5 9300H, Geforce GTX 1650, 16GB RAM, SSD SAMSUNG NVMe 500GB
LM 21 Cinnamon
Raimy

Post by Raimy »

I saw that bug report, the last activity seems to be from November. Doesn't look like it's going anywhere. :(

The widget idea could work for new links but for the hundreds I already have I guess I'll just have to right click to open.

Thanks for your help!
jungle_boy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by jungle_boy »

You can try another desktop environment.

What you want to do work in XFCE and hope that work too in MATE Edition. Not in Cinnamon.
Samsung Odyssey, Octa-core, i5 9300H, Geforce GTX 1650, 16GB RAM, SSD SAMSUNG NVMe 500GB
LM 21 Cinnamon
viking777

Post by viking777 »

Only guesswork this, but try copying firefox.desktop to ~/.local/share/applications (remember to change file ownership to your username). Then see if it works.

BTW are you using dolphin on Mint Main or using the KDE edition? If it is the latter you have posted in the wrong part of the forum. It is not a big deal, I can easily move it for you.
Raimy

Post by Raimy »

jungle_boy wrote:You can try another desktop environment.

What you want to do work in XFCE and hope that work too in MATE Edition. Not in Cinnamon.
I'm kinda hooked on KDE. Maybe if it becomes a huge pain then I'll try the others.
viking777 wrote:Only guesswork this, but try copying firefox.desktop to ~/.local/share/applications (remember to change file ownership to your username). Then see if it works.

BTW are you using dolphin on Mint Main or using the KDE edition? If it is the latter you have posted in the wrong part of the forum. It is not a big deal, I can easily move it for you.
Tried moving it to where you said but no luck. I'm using it on the KDE edition, I'm so sorry but I didn't realize the difference. So yes, move it to the proper place please.

And thank you both for your help!
jungle_boy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by jungle_boy »

Really, KDE is beautiful...

I like it too...
LM 21 Cinnamon

Return to “Software & Applications”