Changing Date/Time will not keep.

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
robkore

Changing Date/Time will not keep.

Post by robkore »

OK, I am sure this is a stupid question, but here goes:

I've installed Linux Mint 14 in a VM (not sure if this matters), and no matter what I do, I cannot get the date and time to change from what it is set as. I am signed in as an administrator, I have tried using the Cinnamon Calendar settings, the Date and Time settings within the standard System Settings, and I've installed the gnome-time-admin tool as well, all with no luck. I've tried using network time, and I've tried setting it manually as well. My time zone looks to be set up correctly.

What am I missing here? Thanks in advance.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Changing Date/Time will not keep.

Post by xenopeek »

Your BIOS has an internal clock, that keeps the time while your computer is switch off. When you set the time, you update this clock also. Linux Mint already automatically synchronizes this clock with network time servers, each time a network device goes up (which unless you fiddle around with your network devices would be once at bootup). I'm not sure how that would work on a virtual machine. I'd expect that you wouldn't be able to set the BIOS clock from a virtual machine.
robkore

Post by robkore »

Thanks for the response. What you say makes sense, and that was my understanding as to what is supposed to happen under the covers. But what is really strange is that it won't even save my preference to NOT "Use network time"--meaning, in the Cinnamon Settings - Calendar window, I unselect the "Use network time" check box, and click Close. When I re-open this window, my selection was not saved.
Robynsveil
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Robynsveil »

Same here. Unticking network time, but it does not stay unticked. :shock: :? Has this been resolved? Linux Mint 13 x86-64...
Last edited by karlchen on Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: This thread was about LM 13. No-one cares about LM 13 in 2021 still. Let the thread r.i.p. Locking the thread before the grave gets opened after another 8 years again.

Return to “Beginner Questions”