creating my own desktop shortcut?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jms

creating my own desktop shortcut?

Post by jms »

Hi, I installed a program I needed by just untaring it to a directory in my home folder. It wasn't available through the apt-get installer and I doubt it's available from any PPAs, as it's a fairly obscure program.

Now I'd like to add it to my desktop so I don't have to manually navigate to the directory and type ./PROGRAMNAME to launch it. How can I add it to my deskop, and preferably to the application menu also?

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
passerby

Re: creating my own desktop shortcut?

Post by passerby »

Adding it to the menu will vary slightly depending on what desktop environment you're using, but creating a shortcut on the desktop should be pretty much the same anywhere.
Right click on the desktop and choose "Create Launcher" or "Create Shortcut", whatever your particular file manager says.
You should be presented with a "Create Launcher" popup window. Leave the Type as Application, enter whatever name you see fit, then use "browse" to select the program you've been launching. Optionally you can add a comment, but it isn't mandatory. Also, if an icon isn't selected automatically, you can click on the image towards the left to choose a different icon.

eg.
Type: Application
Name: Armitage
Command: "/home/user/.armitage/armitage.sh"

You should also be able to right click on the file you're executing and select "Create link", then cut and paste that link to the desktop. In my experience this doesn't work for all applications/paths, but it works for the most part.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

hello jms,
in order to get it exicute correctly you need to create a .desktop file and place it in /usr/share/applications.
here a page telling you how to do that.
Then just copy the created file to your Desktop folder if you want it on your desktop.

http://developer.gnome.org/integration- ... es.html.en

hope that helps.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
jms

Post by jms »

Thanks to both of you, worked great!

Return to “Beginner Questions”