Have to restart my router (wired connection) each boot,help!

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
wolf1_o

Have to restart my router (wired connection) each boot,help!

Post by wolf1_o »

Hi,

I just installed the mint cinnamon 14.1, and have the following strange problem:
I have a dual boot (along with win 7x64), connected by wire (desktop) to a router (cisco linksys e4200). In the windows it works perfectly each time, as usual. in the Linux mint, it won't connect for some reason. It will work only I unplug the router from electricity and turn it on again. then I get a connection in a snap!
What could be the issue?
I have a gigabyte mother board with realtek R8168/8111 Ethernet adapter, and I did try to install the realtek driver instead of the default linux one, but the result was the same. Both are working perfectly after I unplug and turn the router again, but it's really annoying to do it, not to mention It may harm the device in time.

Did anyone encounter this strange issue as well? What can I try to resolve it?

Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Have to restart my router (wired connection) each boot,h

Post by caf4926 »

Never experienced anything like this
I find it hard to believe it has anything to do with Mint

If you run Mint from the Live session, does the problem remain?
(If yes to above) Have you tested other Live Linux distros?
Have you run Linux or Mint before? Did it happen then?
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
wolf1_o

Post by wolf1_o »

Hi,

It is solved!
The thing was like that: In my router I use the DHCP settings to assign a '192.168.1.100' address for my windows pc, but for some reason (even though it's the same MAC address) when the linux started (after using the windows) it didn't give the linux (probably!) this ip , or any ip and therefore no connection (to network or Internet), but as soon as I cancelled it it worked!
What I did more is assigning '100' to the windows pc, and '101' to the linux pc, and again, even though it has the same
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Post by caf4926 »

It's a plan to assign a range of LAN IP addresses
ie: 100 > 120
will give a range.
Normally folks have a bunch of devices

If you also assign devices by MAC, it's another thing to keep in mind. But if you were using the same machine the MAC will be the same.
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
wolf1_o

Post by wolf1_o »

Hi,

I do have a range for all the other devices.
But I wanted '100' for the desktop all the time. and of course the MAC for the pc is the same in linux and windows, but due to a "bug" (or for an unknown reason) it won't connect back to the linux when I'm getting back from the windows boot!
It worked only after I assigned a different IP....strange but now it works...
bjornmu
Level 3
Level 3

Post by bjornmu »

If you want a fixed IP address, a more obvious solution is to not use DHCP. But then you have to set the IP address, netmask, DNS servers... manually. I did this during install but you should be able to set it later using the proper network administration tool. Make sure not to use an address that falls within the range that your router allocates for DCHP. I presume this is also possible to set in Windows, but I wouldn't know how. :wink:
wolf1_o

Post by wolf1_o »

If you mean by than a "static ip" then no, I don't want a static ip!
bjornmu
Level 3
Level 3

Post by bjornmu »

Yes I meant static IP. Of course that's not useful if the computer is sometimes plugged in in other locations. I've always been using static IP for my home boxes, even for my netbook when connected to my home wifi.
wolf1_o

Post by wolf1_o »

Resolved!
(Defined the IP as 'Manual' in the linux (per the DHCP reserved IP I set on my router, which works perfectly on windows) and it works!
smithabcdef3

Post by smithabcdef3 »

I just happened to have stumbled onto this post... I am having the same problem (Cisco e1500 router, Linux Mint 14.1, Windows 8 dual boot, Gigabyte motherboard but mine has Atheros 8161 LAN chipset). I too have a reserved IP address for my MAC address (required for port forwarding). The first time it happened I couldn't figure it out for the life of me, eventually I found that rebooting the router got it working again.

I would like to avoid manual IPs (on the Linux side, leaving DHCP for Windows) if possible, as I do move between networks occasionally, although I suppose I could do it if I have to.

I will reply here with any solutions that I find...

Cheers

Return to “Networking”