spotlight like in mac os

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

spotlight like in mac os

Postby Wist on Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:17 pm

Hey,

So I switched from mac os to mint (I love it), and the only thing that I seriously miss is spotlight. Is it possible to set up a spotlight-like search function in cinnamon?

Thanks
Wist
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: spotlight like in mac os

Postby Kikito on Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:39 pm

While certainly not the same, there are apps like Synapse or Gnome Do that have similar capabilities from what Wikipedia tells me Spotlight does. There may be a better fitting alternative, though.
Kikito
Level 1
Level 1

Postby bimsebasse on Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:00 am

Synapse is great (Gnome Do too but it was discontinued long ago) but I haven't tried it in Cinnamon. It can be found in Software Manager, try it out (launch combo is/was Ctrl+Space).
Thank you for this thread. That’s all I can say. You most definitely have made this forum into something special. You clearly know what you are doing, you’ve covered so many bases. Thanks!
bimsebasse
Level 7
Level 7

Postby Wist on Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:43 pm

Sorry, was away for a few days. Synapse is perfect, thanks :)
Wist
Level 1
Level 1

Postby ongdenny on Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:50 am

Mac OSX Spotlight is actually Synapse + Recoll combined.

I'm looking forward for this feature too in Linux Mint. Synapse is good, but can't look into file content. Recoll can find file content, but can't be accessed with hotkeys like Synaptic. I wish Mint 16 would use something like Recoll in the search function.. It'd be fantastic! :p

Regards
ongdenny
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions