[SOLVED] Lmde latest iso questions

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
crazyg4merz

[SOLVED] Lmde latest iso questions

Post by crazyg4merz »

I'm a Linux Mint 14 Nadia user now. But I would like to try Lmde version now, but I've got a question which I can't find the answer anywhere. I just wanna know if the iso file available for torrent download in the linuxmint website is daily updated or is it as stated in the detail is a 201204 which is already 8months old? What about the update pack which I know is already the 6th editions now? Should we update the whole update again after installing the iso image? I've got a slow internet here (50kB/sec) so this is very important for me. Thanks in advance :-)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Lmde latest iso questions

Post by tdockery97 »

The iso on the mirrors is indeed old. It would require not only the initial large download, but also hundreds of megabytes to update it to UP6. But fear not, Clem has promised a new iso sometime this month which will already include UP6.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
GeneBenson
Level 4
Level 4

Post by GeneBenson »

tdockery97 wrote:The iso on the mirrors is indeed old. It would require not only the initial large download, but also hundreds of megabytes to update it to UP6. But fear not, Clem has promised a new iso sometime this month which will already include UP6.
I wouldn't count on that tdockery97. Have a look here at the "News and summary:" section. Here is the relevant text:
Going forward, LMDE ISOs will be released in two versions: MATE and Cinnamon. The decision was taken not to maintain a KDE version of LMDE and to stop maintaining the Xfce version. This was a painful decision to make considering the quality of LMDE Xfce and unofficial LMDE KDE, but one that made sense for Linux Mint since LMDE Xfce represented only 4% of the Linux Mint audience. This is also consistent with our strategy to focus on what we do best, to do less and do it better and to invest less time in maintaining editions and more time in developing the core technology that they use. It was a tough call at the time when Linux Mint lost its Fluxbox and LXDE editions. They were great but they only appealed to a minority of our users and we can see the benefits of this decision now, we can release all our editions and switch to focusing entirely on the development of the next iteration much faster in our release cycle. Whether it’s Cinnamon, MDM, the Software Manager, the Mint tools, the LMDE live-installer or even new projects such as a Driver Manager or R&D plans related to the installation and/or base underneath Linux Mint, development is extremely important to us.
There is, however, an unofficial community version which you can read about here.
:?
crazyg4merz

Post by crazyg4merz »

Thanks for the answers guys.. Now I think I'm going for the unofficial one. What's the differences between the official and the unofficial one? Will I get the same repositories, applications, etc? Will I get official supports if I encounter any problem? Blame my slow internet for these problems.. :'(
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

GeneBenson wrote: I wouldn't count on that tdockery97. Have a look here at the "News and summary:" section.

I don't see your point. There will be ISO released this month... What do you want to say with your text ? I really don't understand why you speak about the unofficial version. Not everyone is using KDE or XFCE. He may want to use Cinnamon or MATE, and there will be an iso in january... :wink:
crazyg4merz

Post by crazyg4merz »

killer de bug wrote:
GeneBenson wrote: I wouldn't count on that tdockery97. Have a look here at the "News and summary:" section.

I don't see your point. There will be ISO released this month... What do you want to say with your text ? I really don't understand why you speak about the unofficial version. Not everyone is using KDE or XFCE. He may want to use Cinnamon or MATE, and there will be an iso in january... :wink:
Maybe he thought that I want to use Xfce or KDE version, but yeah I'm looking for a xfce version. :-)
So what do u think I should do killer de bug? Should I just download the unofficial version or wait for official release and download the whatever version it released and change the desktop environment manually to xfce?
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

it's a though call
- the un-lmde-xfce (great piece of work btw) was made to be a lightweight, mean and lean edition (with no mainstream app meaning this that it's a great xfce edition but might feel a bit barebone if you come from mat/cinnamon/kde)

nevertheless it's great :)

installing any of the official releases (cinnamon or mate) and then install xfce4 on top of it will give you a more friendly environment but with a couple quirks (the biggest one is the duplicated app and menu entries for most of the items)

regarding support:
if you install any of the official ed. no problem at all;
if you install one of the unofficial spins there might be issues that are specific to those editions and you're limited.

Disclaimer: un-lmde-kde is my main system and i love the work "we" did in the xfce version
crazyg4merz

Post by crazyg4merz »

zerozero wrote:it's a though call
- the un-lmde-xfce (great piece of work btw) was made to be a lightweight, mean and lean edition (with no mainstream app meaning this that it's a great xfce edition but might feel a bit barebone if you come from mat/cinnamon/kde)

nevertheless it's great :)

installing any of the official releases (cinnamon or mate) and then install xfce4 on top of it will give you a more friendly environment but with a couple quirks (the biggest one is the duplicated app and menu entries for most of the items)

regarding support:
if you install any of the official ed. no problem at all;
if you install one of the unofficial spins there might be issues that are specific to those editions and you're limited.

Disclaimer: un-lmde-kde is my main system and i love the work "we" did in the xfce version
Thanks, now I understand. I'm gonna wait for the official iso with latest update pack and install it. And I'll try mate first, if there's not any problem with it I'll use it. What I love about xfce is the fastness in everything as I own a so-so laptop (1gb ram). I used to be a mate user in ubuntu based LM13, but it was too heavy for my laptop, and as I read it somewhere debian based is a lot lighter than Ubuntu based so I think I gotta try it for myself :-)
It's such a pity they can't continue the xfce version :'(
And now I've got another question about lmde repositories and software, should I post it here or start another thread? Thanks :-)
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

crazyg4merz wrote:And now I've got another question about lmde repositories and software, should I post it here or start another thread? Thanks :-)
new questions deserve new topics :D and in the meantime you can take a look at the lmde faq
crazyg4merz

Post by crazyg4merz »

zerozero wrote:
crazyg4merz wrote:And now I've got another question about lmde repositories and software, should I post it here or start another thread? Thanks :-)
new questions deserve new topics :D and in the meantime you can take a look at the lmde faq
Thanks, now I'm gonna mark this thread as solved :-)

Return to “LMDE Archive”