overheating in nadia

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
green_goblin

overheating in nadia

Post by green_goblin »

My laptop is 64-bit mint 14 with cinnamon. I have a ati radeon hd 6490 graphics card installed. my pc is overheating and the average temp is around 65 degrees.
I have changed the grub line to "pcie_aspm=force". but it was of no help. should i install the graphics driver for ati to decrease the temp? if yes then how?
system specification:
intel i5 2nd gen
ati radeon 6490 1gb
ram 4gb
hdd 500 gb
Also the system specifications does not shows me my grpahics card
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
zerozero

Re: overheating in nadia

Post by zerozero »

i would be very careful installing the drivers for the amd card because your system has 2 graphics cards: the amd and the hd3000 intel from the i5;
hybrid cards are a mess in general and when it comes to amd+something else it gets worst.

i haven't found yet a proper guide to do this kind of installation (as far as i can see it's not so straightforward as with nvidia optimus), unless you have a physical switch or some settings on the bios to disable one of them.

anyway the output of

Code: Select all

inxi -Gx
can help us a bit more.
bigj231

Post by bigj231 »

If you can disable one of the cards in the BIOS, then do it that way. It will save you so much trouble and heartache. Honestly, the HD3000/HD4000 is more than enough for normal usage, so just disable the ATI (discrete) card if you have the option. Then you won't have to fight with the AMD drivers.
green_goblin

Post by green_goblin »

Graphics: Card-1: Intel 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00:02.0
Card-2: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Caicos [Radeon HD 6400M/7400M Series] bus-ID: 01:00.0
X.Org: 1.13.0 drivers: ati,radeon (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) FAILED: intel Resolution: 1366x768@60.0hz
GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Sandybridge Mobile GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 9.0 Direct Rendering: Yes
bigj231

Post by bigj231 »

FYI it will not be easy to install the FGLRX drivers on your system. Look around in the BIOS for an option to disable a Graphics chip.

Also, your ATI card has no driver installed. There is a section in the Ubuntu Wiki, but it says that it will most likely not work. You can try it, but it will PROBABLY BREAK YOUR SYSTEM. The wiki is here. Do read the warnings and do realize that you might break your system before trying the method there. It really is easier to disable a GPU if you have that option in the BIOS.

Return to “Hardware Support”