How to autostart an app or script - Virtual Desktop

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon here
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon

How to autostart an app or script - Virtual Desktop

Postby GNUbalance on Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:50 am

Anyone have any idea how to autostart an app or script on a specific virtual desktop under Mint 14 Cinnamon ?

I want to start up my applications an scripts programmatically without having to open up each one and move them around.
Z77-DS3H Motherboard / i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz / 32G RAM / Linux Mint 14 Cinnamon
Kernel: Linux 3.5.0-17-generic #28 (x86_64)

alx Qualcomm Atheros Gigabit Ethernet Driver / AR8161 Gigabit Ethernet (rev 10)
GNUbalance
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: How to autostart an app or script - Virtual Desktop

Postby viking777 on Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:21 am

gdevilspie works for me on Mint 14 Cinnamon (though I have spoken to others that claim it doesn't work for them). That is supposedly capable of launching apps on specific workspaces, but to get that to happen through autostart would not be so easy. You would have to put a long delay into the autostart command in order to allow gdevilspie demon to start before the application is launched. You could probably do that through a shell script and then launch the shell script through 'Startup Applications'. I wouldn't feel confident about giving you the code for that though, do a bit of research and you can probably work something out.

Gdevilspie is in synaptic/software center.
Fujitsu Lifebook AH532. Intel i5 processor, 6Gb ram, Intel HD3000 graphics, Intel Audio/wifi. Realtek RTL8111/8168B Ethernet.Lubuntu 13.10,Ubuntu12.10 (Unity), Mint16 (Cinnamon), Manjaro (Xfce).
viking777
Level 14
Level 14

Return to Cinnamon