Multiple Panels With Dual Screens (Cant Remove)

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
holastickboy

Multiple Panels With Dual Screens (Cant Remove)

Post by holastickboy »

Hi all!

I am currently running Linux Mint 14 Cinnamon edition and am having problems now that I have activated two monitors (I currently have them arranged as two seperate x sessions, so that I can run full screen games). It seems that the second monitor has no panels on it at all, but I can right click the desktop and still launch things like the terminal from it. Furthermore, I can even put launchers on it and launch programs from it, but there is no panel with the mint menu to be found here.

On the main monitor, it looks like I have four panels all grouped together. To see what I mean, here is a screen shot of the desktop:

This does not happen if I enable one large desktop over both monitors (twinview) but I also have problems with gaming if that is enabled (common, games center themselves between the two monitors). I am currently running the 310 Nvidia drivers, and have a GTX460 OC 1GB graphics card. Games work just fine, but Cinnamon is currently unusuable in its current state for me (which is a shame, because it's performance is excellent).

Does anyone know a fix for this, or encountered it before? It only affects my Cinnamon installation, and RazorQT, MATE as well as KDE show no problems whatsoever.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
holastickboy

Re: Multiple Panels With Dual Screens (Cant Remove)

Post by holastickboy »

I should probably mention that I have tried to disable, or make modifications to the panel from the Cinnamon options, but nothing works at all (for example, if I click enable hiding, it never enables hiding). I have looked at the obvious things that might be able to stop this, but nothing has worked so far :(
holastickboy

Post by holastickboy »

I've installed another Distro and I get the same thing. Seems to be affecting Cinnamon desktop only, I'm guessing it notices that I have two seperate X sessions, but has no idea to put a panel on each (instead of making multiple panels on the one monitory).

Anyone else have this issue, or know a fix?
joezorry

Post by joezorry »

I also have this problem, but I have 8 panels, and every time I rebooted it added a panel until I had 8 panels.
I have 3 screens, running cinnamon with Nvidias graphic cards drivers. I have not set up twin view, I have three screens with Xinerama enabled, and one screen is in portrait.
This bug is really annoying and someone out there must have an answer.

FIrst I thought it was a problem with the xorg.conf file, but I actually deleted it and then did everything again and still 8 panels.

I really hope some Linux Mint wizard knows the answer out there.
joezorry

Post by joezorry »

Just wanted to update with my desktop setup and how the same problem has occured:

cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

The desktop you are running in the screenshots isn't Cinnamon, it's Gnome Fallback mode. This is probably due to bad graphics card drivers (although you say you have them enabled, so I'm not sure). What is the output of typing the following command into the terminal?

Code: Select all

inxi -F

Return to “Cinnamon”