installing itrans

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rajtendulkar

installing itrans

Post by rajtendulkar »

When I try to install itrans I get the following error -

Code: Select all

$ sudo apt-get -f install itrans
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 itrans : Depends: tex-common (>= 2.00) but it is not going to be installed
          Depends: texlive-common but it is not going to be installed
          Depends: texlive-lang-indic but it is not going to be installed
          Recommends: itrans-fonts (>= 5.3-6) but it is not going to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
Can anyone tell me how to resolve this situation?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Re: installing itrans

Post by kc1di »

First thing to do if you haven't already is refresh you package list you can do that either in a terminal by issuing the following command:

sudo apt-get update
or in Synaptic package manager by clicking on the reload button.

if that does not reslove the problem you'll have to find where the dependency packages are. May be you'll have to enable testing (romeo) repository or Backports in order to meet the dependencies of the program you are trying install.

if there not in either one of of those then it's just a long process of finding them and installing them one at a time manually.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

itrans is broken; I couldn't install it even after installing the three packages it complains about manually (it gave the same error if I tried installing it afterwards). From their homepage mentioned in the package (http://www.aczoom.com/itrans/) it seems you should be using something else:
This page is here for historical purposes, this package is no longer under active development, nor is there any support available. All major operating systems now support Unicode, and have built-in input methods to enter Indic script letters, so it should be possible to use built-in techniques for Indic script output.
The current way to do this is to use ibus. So, install both ibus and support for your languages:

apt install ibus ibus-m17n
Then from the menu open Language Support, and set "Keyboard input method system" to ibus. You'll also find IBus in your menu. Start that (you will want to add this to your Startup Applications later also, so that it starts automatically). It should start the ibus daemon and show a tiny keyboard icon on your panel, somewhere on the right side of the panel. Click that icon, choose Preferences and go to the Input Method tab. Click on the selection box and pick your language; probably found in the Hindi subsection. Then click Add to confirm.

Once you have done all that, any time you are in an application that accepts keyboard input you can use the keyboard icon on your panel to switch input methods if needed. Or Ctrl+Space will also switch. You'll notice this will switch the icon on the panel also.

Proof: हेल्लो वोर्ळ्. That's probably nonsensical, but it is me typing "hello world" with the itrans keyboard input method active on ibus :wink:
rajtendulkar

Post by rajtendulkar »

I tried to update with the synaptic package manager -

sudo apt-get update
Also I tried to install ibus packages

sudo apt install ibus ibus-m17n
But none of them worked.
I still have the same problem installing itrans from the repository.
So I ended up installing itrans manually.

Thanks you !
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

I'm Afraid what xenopeek said is true sorry :)
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608

Return to “Software & Applications”