Mint 14.1, boots to black screen, Nvidia Optimus

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
CreamCorn

Mint 14.1, boots to black screen, Nvidia Optimus

Post by CreamCorn »

Laptop with Windows 7 & Mint 12 installed and every worked fine. Mint 12 installed problem free. Formatted Linux partition, installed Mint 14.1 with Cinnamon. At the Grub screen, if I select Mint 14.1, the screen turns black and nothing happens.

I followed the instructions here:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=122257

I added "nomodeset xforcevesa", exactly as the instruction said, pressed Ctrl-X and the screen still turns all black and I don't see any hard disk activity. Linux Mint 14.1 does not boot.

CPU: Intel Sandy Bridge
GPU: Intel HD Graphics + NVidia GeForce (Nvidia Optimus)

I was hoping to at least be able to startup Linux Mint 14.1 with Cinnamon before doing updates and installing Bumblebee 3.0 and installing the NVidia GeForce drivers after that.

How do I resolve the issue of the black screen after I select "Linux Mint 14" in the Grub OS selection screen?

Thanks!!!!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DrTeeth

Re: Mint 14.1, boots to black screen, Nvidia Optimus

Post by DrTeeth »

I am puzzled. I have the same hardware and all my Mint installs worked a treat. Sorry I cannot be of much more help, I just wanted to let you know that the problem is not with your hardware.

If you would like any further details of my Optimus system, I will be more than happy to help.

Good luck.

DrT

Return to “Installation & Boot”